Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 09-07-2012, 09:03 PM   #1
Beta Member

Default Sold computer to friend, computer wont turn on...??

So i sold my computer to a friend and shipped it out. I was on the computer just before i put it in the box to make sure everything worked fine. I didn't take anything apart, so everything was intact. I bought bubble wrap and the squishy beans or w/e and made sure everything is safe. When the computer arrived he said the box and everything was in good condition, but for some reason it stopped working. The fans turned on for half a second and stopped. The computer just WONT turn on...??? He went to his friends dad since he's a computer "expert" and they experimented by removing things and what not. They seem to find a bunch of problems like the mobo isn't working/power supply/etc/etc. This is pissing me off! The computer was working perfectly fine when i had it, and when it arrived at his house it magically stopped working. So he's going to get his damn money back and I'ma get a broken computer... like wtf??? what the hell happened. He said the computer itself was in good condition and all the parts were in good condition also. I packed everything nice and neat to make SURE it was safe and nothing would break.

harharimacar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:02 AM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Sold computer to friend, computer wont turn on...??

Maybe the switch on the back of the power supply got flipped.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:29 AM   #3
MMM
Daemon Poster

This has happened to me a few times in the past "working today then kaput the next day".

The joys of selling second hand goods..... you should have delivered it & set up for him to make sure it is working correctly.
MMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:46 AM   #4
In Runtime

Sounds like memory to me replace the memory and see if it works then
Fujitsu_Technician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:09 AM   #5
Fully Optimized

Unplug the PC from the wall, tap the power button three or four times, then plug it in and try turning it on again.

i5 4210M || 500GB Samsung EVO 850 SSD || GeForce 825M || 16GB DDR3 RAM || Windows 10 x64
joedaman633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:53 AM   #6
Daemon Poster

All of the above suggestions are possibilities, along with a PSU connector that is intermittent. I'd remove and reset all the power supply connectors. They can easily become oxidized, and the changes in temp, and humidity could have an effect on the contacts while being shipped.

As you suspect, there is most likely nothing wrong with your machine that can't be cured with some common sense trouble shooting.

Hameister is offline   Reply With Quote