software-related hardware question.

ericthenguyen

Solid State Member
Hi guys,

So I have this laptop that is completely done-in. BIOS is locked (password locked) and windows won't boot.
So if I were to free up one of the two problems, I could fix the entire problem.
So I have an idea. I don't need anything on this current hard-drive.
If I were to remove this hard-drive and install a brand new one. Would the system automatically detect that there's no operating system and require me to install a new one without accessing the BIOS?

Does that make sense?
Cheers in advance.

Why not just press F12 at start up to access the boot menu. You'll then be able to choose the CD drive (which I assume is the reason you need into the BIOS) and therefore be able to reload it without needing a new hard drive.

There is probably a way to reset the BIOS password depending on the laptop - try googling it.

I have indeed googled it, I've tried various methods but I don't seem to be making any breakthroughs.
What I was saying was that, the BIOS is password locked and I don't have the password (I got this laptop from someone else).
Aside from that, windows won't start up, so what I was suggesting was that if I installed a new hard-drive... It would require me to install windows right?

Yes, but what I was saying is that you don't need to put in a new hard drive to reload Windows. You can just put in the Windows CD and press F12 and it will give you the option to boot off the CD Drive.

But a new Hard Drive will also require Windows to be installed on it.

I am using an Acer Aspire 5735Z.
F12? Is that a laptop boot menu? Because if it is... That might solve my problems.

Unfortunately I have removed the CMOS battery. For over many hours and it still has not worked. Any other solutions possibly?

Back
Top Bottom