Which socket to invest in?

Chinny4290

Baseband Member
Hey guys. i'm building a work computer for my dad in march and I need help deciding which CPU to get him.

I've always been an AMD fan. But which socket is good to invest in for the future?

AM2 has been around for a bit and AM2+ is coming out but I can expect AM2 will phase out eventually within the next year or so...

Intel's LGA775 (is that correct?) I know is currently the hottest thing right now and rightfully so. Didn't hear anything but good things about it (a nice change after how awful P4s were).

So come march, which socket should I invest in? I have the feeling that for RIGHT NOW, Intel's LGA775 is the way to go but for future upgrade, I'm edging for AM2+.

What say you people? :)

AMD and Intel processors are both very good, although generally in my opinion which others are welcome to disagree with AMD is suited for a cheap-er build, whereas intel are a bit more pricey but worth it :) also, for the foreseeable future Intel will stick with the LGA775, whereas AMD are planning to change the AM2 for the AM2+ (goodness knows why :confused:)

the future is going to be intel quads , soon there having pricedrops for the quad cores
which means they have the new 45nm quad cores , there stock speed might be 3ghz ,then easily overclock to 4ghz,

i say go with LGA775 to be more future proof

Cryman, do you know when this might be happening and if there'll be a drop in C2D's? If so will it affect laptop prices?

Back
Top Bottom