Socket confusion

emperor76

In Runtime
I'm getting an old board to sort out the old computer I got for free, it had a socket 478 board which is dead, but I thought I might as well go for LGA 775 from reading around a bit I thought it supported cpu's right up to the core 2's, but I've just been on amazon looking at some and they all say only Celeron and P4, I'm a little confused, do all LGA 775's not have the same cpu support?

I'm actually looking at this, even if it doesn't go past the p4 I have at home, I think it would be worth it for the pci-e and ddr2 ram, but I see the socket 478 heat sink I have wouldn't fit, so I found this CPU Cooling PWM Fan Heatsink 4Pin for Intel P4 Socket 775 to 3.8GHz | eBay at the risk of sounding like captain obvious here, would it fit? and finally can anyone tell what front panel connectors are on this, it looks a little worrying but the picture really isn't very revealing

Last edited:
Some boards with LGA 775 will support Core 2 Duo CPU's but this one won't, It's to old and it only uses DDR SDRAM so that would cause a bottleneck. So the best CPU that you would get in there would be a P4 or Celeron.

Some boards with LGA 775 will support Core 2 Duo CPU's but this one won't, It's to old and it only uses DDR SDRAM so that would cause a bottleneck. So the best CPU that you would get in there would be a P4 or Celeron.

Hmm, I'm sure actually the other one had DDR2, but I've just had the computer apart again looking and I've just realised the motherboard is not at fault, the cpu has 2 pins broken off and a couple of bent one's, luckily this cpu is about £2 so I'm going to order it now, the upgrade to socket 775 might now wait for a short while.

Well according to the Crucial scanner it takes DDR2 Computer memory upgrades for Dell OptiPlex 320 Desktop/PC from Crucial.com, Here is the manual if you need it ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-prod...x_desktop/optiplex-320_user's guide_en-us.pdf. So it may take a Core 2 Duo but you may need to update the bios.
Thanks, just bookmarked it, I have a case in mind for another build soon, £13 brand new from ccl, nothing fancy, but I think it will do fine for a 775 build, when I've done that, I'll probably sell the 478 one, or maybe put it in my room

That's a BTX board and will not work in an ATX case.
They must have listed it wrong then as they've put ATX, but then so did the motherboard I looked at the other day but it was mATX, so I wouldn't put it past them listing it wrong. I have found another one listed as ATX with ddr2 and what looks like pci-e I do see what you mean though, the expansion slots are on the other side, I also don't see how this would fit, I think I'll have to keep my eye out for this as they don't seem to be listing them properly http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dell-OptiPlex-760-Desktop-LGA-775-Motherboard-P-N-0M858N-/191091315153?pt=UK_Computing_LaptopMotherboards_CPUs_CA&hash=item2c7dee11d1

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom