Socket AM2 Opteron

Chi San

Beta member
I know there is a RAM issue with Socket AM2 opterons, they don't support DDR2 1066. However, can I run an AM2 Opteron on an AM2+ motherboard? I'd rather run a quad core Opteron instead of a Phenom.

Any known compatable AM2+ motherboards?

There are no AM2+ Opteron quad cores, just dual. You can run an AM2 Opteron in an AM2+ board though.

Alright, thanks. :) I'll be getting a Quad Core Opteron and an AM2+ motherboard. Probably pick up a cheap OEM Athlon AM2 CPU as well just to make sure I can get the board setup properly for the Opteron.

Any down sides to running an Opteron in an AM2+ motherboard, other than RAM speed? I know the Opterons don't support DDR2 1066 RAM, but that doesn't bother me. DDR2 800 or even slower RAM would be faster than the DDR 3200 in my current rig. :)

Did you read my post? Quad core Opterons are not socket AM2+, they are not compatible with the desktop boards. You need a Phenom X4.

You're pulling my leg now right? You said quad core Opteron. I said, no, there are no AM2+ quad core Opterons.

I know the Quad Core Opteron is only Socket AM2, but socket AM2 is compatable with AM2+.

AM2 = AM2+, basically the same socket. There are no quad core AM2 or AM2+ Opterons, only single and dual core.

Back
Top Bottom