Alright guys, here's the deal.
If you have been browsing the social section you might have come across my thread and know I found a computer lately that was gutted. Well, I want to bring it back to life. I'm hoping some of you guys could help me pick out some old parts for the thing. From what I can gather, it would cost around $40-50 to get it up and running again assuming everything on the board is alright. Here's what I need:
CPU + Heatsink/Fan
Hard Drive (think I have this covered already)
Floppy (not really necessary)
And of course a display but I'm not worried about that now.
Here is some information on the board that pertains to the parts I need.
Socket-7 Processor Support
- Supports all recent socket-7 processors including Intel P55C
(Pentium MMX), Cyrix/IBM 6x86L/6x86MX/MII, AMD K6/
K6-2, and IDT C6 CPUs
- Supports socket-7 processors with system bus frequencies of
- CPU Plug and Play support let the firmware automatically
configure the CPU
- 512K/1MB external Level 2 cache memory is provided onboard
- 3 Dimm slots for 3.3V SDRAM 168-pin memory modules
- Support for 66 MHz and 100 MHz memory bus
- Maximum installed memory can be 3 x 256 MB = 768 MB
So here's the question... which is faster: AMD K6-2 or Pentium MMX? I actually own an MMX and hate it but I'm wondering if AMD was worse back then. If you can find me a good processor for this socket and bus frequencies that would be great.
Suggest some parts for me. I really don't know what to look for here since I'm not familiar with technology this old.
The plan is to run a low resource Linux on here, any help would be appreciated.