Socket 478 upgrade...worth it?

lhuser

Golden Master
Well, I'm looking at my system and much things I want for Linux doesn't cut it. It's Windows XP or nothing. I'm very unsatissfied with the performance of that ASUS P4S800D-X. It was more than enough in 2006, but now, with today's OSes, it just plays the lock up. I'm sick and tired of this nonsense.

Now, I'm thinking this: Get a BIOSTAR motherboard with the VIA P4M900 chipset. It has the DDRII-667 support, PCI-E and a Vista certified logo. What that certification means for me, is that it will be more stable. Also, DDRII-667 can be bough for 50 bucks (1GB). I believe my P4 can perform better with DDRII aand an ATI Radeon X300.

The total cost of this PLUS a SFFC (Small form factor case), would be around...say 60 for the board, 50 for the RAM, 40 for the card, and 70 for the cube case...let's say with taxes, it'll add up to 240.

Little too expensive eh? Well, what I thought of, would be to grab another CPU for the old case, and then sell the full tower for 125-200, depending on the CPU. What do you think?

Hmm i dunno i dont realy spend money on old technology i would rather save up a bit more and get a new cpu/mobo which would be more powerfull , i thought you had an athlon X2 4000+ ?

Oh I already have a new machine. It's an Athlon 64 4000+. I just wanted to have this one upped a bit higher, so I could use it as the personal jukebox.

meh if its a personal jukebox i wouldnt bother with spending that much on it

Well, at least the board and RAM. The case, I might be able to strike a good deal at the recycling shop.

Well, I'm looking at my system and much things I want for Linux doesn't cut it. It's Windows XP or nothing. I'm very unsatissfied with the performance of that ASUS P4S800D-X. It was more than enough in 2006, but now, with today's OSes, it just plays the lock up. I'm sick and tired of this nonsense.

Now, I'm thinking this: Get a BIOSTAR motherboard with the VIA P4M900 chipset. It has the DDRII-667 support, PCI-E and a Vista certified logo. What that certification means for me, is that it will be more stable. Also, DDRII-667 can be bough for 50 bucks (1GB). I believe my P4 can perform better with DDRII aand an ATI Radeon X300.

The total cost of this PLUS a SFFC (Small form factor case), would be around...say 60 for the board, 50 for the RAM, 40 for the card, and 70 for the cube case...let's say with taxes, it'll add up to 240.

Little too expensive eh? Well, what I thought of, would be to grab another CPU for the old case, and then sell the full tower for 125-200, depending on the CPU. What do you think?

I have a socket 478 1.8Ghz Processor MSI Motherboard and for $55 with shipping I can get a new processor at 2.8ghz.. but not worth it. I dont play games that much or anything that needs a lot of power. =/

Personally, if it's not worth the upgrade, then I guess I'm screwed. It doesn't work very well...in wich, being my point of rebuilding.

i wouldnt cos over here for about 240 i could prolly get a intel pentium dual core 1.8ghz and a mobo and a gig of ram , maybe even 2 gigs so why put money into old tech when the newer tech is coming down as well
the amd athlon X2 4000+ is about £40 at the moment thats a steal for a dual core processor and its pretty powerfull as well

Back
Top Bottom