Socket 478 Motherboard with PCI Express x16

I'm not sure about the pins being already there. All my previous builds have been AMD and the processors I've used before all have pins on the bottom of the CPU (with the exception of the Slot A Athlon of course, but that was a long time ago). All I know is that first motherboard won't work for you though. It's for a different CPU. I'll go ahead and delete that one.

What confuses me is the website I linked above mentions that it will work for a P4 CPU. I thought all P4 were pretty standardized with the exception of using having a different core maybe. But that part shouldn't matter.

There isn't a lot of people on right now posting so maybe we can get some answers later on or tomorrow. We'll keep this open in the meantime...

I'll bump this if I have to because I'm curious myself.

Yeah, I just learned recently that there is a difference in the P4s. The 775 already has the pins and the P4 that works with it is smooth on the bottom. My friend will not be happy, but hey, I learned something new. Thanks again for your time. <M>

Wow, that's news to me. Didn't know that. There aren't a whole lot of Socket 478 motherboards around. I think they're fading away like dinosaurs. I can only suggest now to upgrade the motherboard entirely and the CPU to 775. Maybe get a nice Core 2 Duo CPU, PCI-express, DDR2 RAM, SATA HD, and the rest of the good stuff. That will cost much more though, but wow the PC will be much faster.

Or if he's still using DDR SDRAM, a nice motherboard and CPU upgrade are probably all he needs as you have mentioned earlier.

Hey, off the subject, but what did you do to get your Computer's specs down below all of your posts?

Your welcome. Ask your friend what he want to do next. If he's willing to spend a little more and go with a new build, it would be nice and maybe we can post some ideas.

Mortiscon said:
Hey, off the subject, but what did you do to get your Computer's specs down below all of your posts?

You go into the UserCP button located at the top right of the page. Then click on Edit Signature link towards the left. There, you can post text only. There's no way of getting HTML, images, or other stuff in there. I think there's like a 5-line maximum rule or something like that. You can post whatever you want in the sig, a lot of us just post our system specs in there so people can see or get some ideas what we're running. That way, they can match up components and things like that.

Then you go into Edit Options and click on the box that says to post signature after every post.

Back
Top Bottom