Socket A

catalyst1

BSOD
What's the next best thing under the AMD 64 series? I'm probably gonna end up getting one of those anyway, but I'm just wondering if I really need to spend the extra money. I will probably play games like Half-Life 2 eventually, but I'm not really a 'gamer'. I'd like a good multiprocess CPU, but it doesn't have to be amazing. I just want something fast and reliable. Also, is Socket A worth anything, or is it completely useless by today's standards? Thanks again, guys.

r53s said:
The next best thing will be...
The 64 bits double core speed beast FX2-99...

LOL, unless stuff's different world wide, "the next best thing" around here means a step DOWN ;P

Well, there's the soon to be dead socet 739(which is what older A64's and Semprons use) There's the Sempron series, which is AMD's budget processor. I'm using one in my laptop and it's not too bad. Now, are they just Socket739? That's what mine shows up as but I thought there were some SocketA's too?

Anyway, below, or maybe even tied with that one would be the Athlon XP which is Socket!.

its not socket 739 its 754...and socket A isnt useless...it works wonders but its out of date. I can play cs:source at high settings with 1280 by 1024 with some AA and AF.

Socket is not useless to today's standard. Many computers still run on Socket A. It's the newer ones that are using the Socket 754 and Socket 939, more Socket 939 though. If money is a problem, a nice Socket A type CPU would be a good buy.

So, Socket A is still an option, but I'm still leaning heavily toward the 64. The question I have with that is whether Socket 754 or Socket 939 would be better. Upgradeability isn't terribly important to me as I tend to keep the same setup for awhile. Are there other benefits that 939 offers that I should know about? Once again, keep in mind that this is supposed to be a low- to mid-budget system.

If it's a mid budget system, get the Athlon 64 using Socket 939. Here are the advantages of using Socket 939 over a Socket 754 besides Socket 939 being newer:

--It runs Dual Channel Memory
--128bit DDR SDRAM at 100, 133, 166, and 200Mhz
--Four DIMM's supported instead of three
--1000Mhz Hyper Transport Bus Speed
--Runs cooler than socket 754 cpu's
--Consumes less power than socket 754's

Back
Top Bottom