Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 07-10-2008, 12:52 PM   #1
In Runtime

Default So, what's still wrong with Vista?

I really like the look of Vista and it's features and am wanting to get it, however, there's still problems with it and I wish to know whether it's worth upgrading to it.

Can someone explain the most significant things currently wrong or inconvenient with it?

Old 07-10-2008, 01:04 PM   #2
In Runtime

Default Re: So, what's still wrong with Vista?

It sucks, I never could find compatible drivers even if they said they were for Vista. I upgraded to it for about a week, had no sound and my display driver crashed daily. I then switched back to XP SP2 and just downloaded an unofficial black XP theme which does not slow my PC in the slightest.

As far as I could see, other than Aero, there were no pros to Vista.

My honest opinion, don't buy Vista, wait for the next one. I know several people are going to disagree with me though.

Desktop: ASRock 4Core-Dual VSTA | E7200 | Radeon HD 2600 Pro | 80GB HDD | 2GB(2x 1GB) DDR2 Kingston ValueRam
Dot Cong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 01:11 PM   #3
BSOD

I've got vista running on one of my hard drives, and lemme tell ya. If you can find all the drivers you need, you should be good. But if your like a good percent of the rest of the world, you arent gonna find squat. And you'll just get pissed at vista, wondering why they even sell it.
dakxxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 01:13 PM   #4
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via MSN to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-CHRIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakxxus View Post
I've got vista running on one of my hard drives, and lemme tell ya. If you can find all the drivers you need, you should be good. But if your like a good percent of the rest of the world, you arent gonna find squat. And you'll just get pissed at vista, wondering why they even sell it.
Anything new and mainstream is typically fully vista compatible. I use vista now and it's been working great assuming your using fairly recent software and a fairly recent computer. Also with SP1 it's more stable and less problematic than other versions of windows.
DJ-CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 01:20 PM   #5
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ-CHRIS View Post
Anything new and mainstream is typically fully vista compatible. I use vista now and it's been working great assuming your using fairly recent software and a fairly recent computer. Also with SP1 it's more stable and less problematic than other versions of windows.
I could have made due with my sound issue, just would have bought a new PCI card. My main problem was the display Driver, the newest versions out for ATI are all fubar for Vista. They don't work at all. It's all over the net, I googled it and got god knows how many forums with complaints.

Desktop: ASRock 4Core-Dual VSTA | E7200 | Radeon HD 2600 Pro | 80GB HDD | 2GB(2x 1GB) DDR2 Kingston ValueRam
Old 07-10-2008, 01:26 PM   #6
Golden Master

Quote:
I could have made due with my sound issue, just would have bought a new PCI card. My main problem was the display Driver, the newest versions out for ATI are all fubar for Vista. They don't work at all. It's all over the net, I googled it and got god knows how many forums with complaints.
That would be Nvidia's driver that was the at the root of over a third of BSOD's in Vista.

I use it and I've had no compatability issues at all, and I'm using 64 bit.
AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 4.0GHz + TU120E lapped - MSI 770-CD45 AM3 - 2x2GB OCZ DDR3 1333MHz - Sapphire HD 4870 - Samsung Spinpoint 500GB 7200RPM 16MB cache HDD - Tagan TG600-BZ Piperock - (Currently open test bed) - Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit.
worshipme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 01:30 PM   #7
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by worshipme View Post
That would be Nvidia's driver that was the at the root of over a third of BSOD's in Vista.

I use it and I've had no compatability issues at all, and I'm using 64 bit.
I had 64 bit too and all I had was problems with ATI. Here's a link to the google results for the ATI driver that's going crazy in Vista...works great in XP though.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:53 PM   #8
Golden Master

Vista is alright, however the difference in speed and stability between XP and Vista is astonishing. Going back to XP after using Vista for a year and 4 months makes you really notice the difference in speed.
LA061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 02:37 PM   #9
Site Team

Send a message via AIM to celegorm

I'll never go back to XP willingly. Running Vista on the same computer that i used to have XP on, vista is a lot more stable.

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 02:42 PM   #10
Fully Optimized

I love my Vista 64bit. I gat it the same time I gat my new rig (my sig) was about 3 month go. Dont have any problems with it and it runs fast! Dont think il ever go back to xp

- 120GB Crucial C300 SSD & 3X WD640AAKS HDD
- Dell 24" 2408WFP & 2407WFP-HC Monitor
Zer0Cool is offline   Reply With Quote