So is the Raptor really failing?

Update #2:

My shop checked out the drive and said that checkdisk was giving multiple drive errors. Not to mention the fact that Vista said my HD was corrupt/failing.

To my surprise, he called me today and said he had good news...

???

The tech said he managed to run a virusscan and found a bad virus, and that he went ahead and wiped the HD and reinstalled Vista. Apparently the drive works perfectly now and no problems have come up yet. He's going to run checkdisk one more time to see if any problems come up and then he'll call me. Oh, and apparently he can't get Western Dig.'s diagnostic program to work. There is one for the craptor, right? :)

What do u guys think? Any opinions?

Sounds dodgy, if the WD diagnostic tools won't run there is something not right.

What was the name of the virus?

It would have to be something new if it has the ability to create disk errors on a hardware level.

I call bs, see if he will tell you the virus name so we can find out about it on the web, a new hardware destroying virus will surely be well documented.

$5 will get you $10 he can't supply the name for some reason

Hard drives fail. That is a fact. Can't help it. I wouldn't take that drive back if it's been ticking. That's why I call a hard drive a "ticking" time bomb. :p Also a reason why I decided to start selling data backup plans. Click here for information.

Update #3: (Headache #2...)

Computer is back home. I asked the guy if everything was alright and he said "yes."

I turn on the computer and an immediate CheckDisk takes place by itself, and does some of the following:

- Recovers "Orphaned Files"
- Repairs security file record segment
- Inserts data attributes
- Repairs USN journal files
- Makes corrections to apprx. 16000kb in bad sectors.

Okay, What part of this makes the HD seem FINE? -_-

The computer boots up, I download and (successfully) install/run the WD Diagnostic tool. The hard drive immediately shows a "FAIL" sign next to it...something about a "read time" but I'm not sure. For now, I'm doing an "Extended Test" with the program and will get back to you all. It seems like the drive is indeed screwed up. I may do an advanced RMA through WD and get the hard drive by myself instead of working through my shop.

Ah, the headache.

I hope you didn't pay any money to have your HDD "fixed" :(

Deal direct with WD if you can for sure as I have doubts about the shop you are using.

Hmm. Sounds like a mess. Im sure WD will be more than happy to help you out. I would of went directly to them. But, Im assuming you didnt becasue you didnt want to wait.

Hey all,

Another quick update. I decided to skip my shop and deal with WD directly. I think it was on the 8th when I placed an advanced RMA order through their site. I'll be getting the replacement Raptor tomorrow (it's waiting at UPS now!) and will do the swap, send back the dead one, and be a happy man.

Cheers.

Oh, and I've given out reps to all you who helped out. Thanks much. :)

Back
Top Bottom