so my mum wants to update....

amp27

Daemon Poster
and she needs one real bad too. she is running a dell dimension with w2kpro and a 10Gb hardive that is 13 percent free of space and it is sloow....
8 years of this and i have been waiting for her to get a new computer and right at the time that i started getting in to computers.

i told her you could get a better computer if you build one and not buy from walmart or best buy. it this true. for 400 to 600 bucks is it true????

she emails and does taxes and the web and i use it for web browseing and video and music. but i want to build my own computer for myself and what i want so all i need on this one is speed.

i kinda want to her to let me build it so i know more about it and computers so i know more for my build.

if i am going to build it ill get into specs later down the page.

thanks

she just said she wants LCD with it. we still have a old CRT 19inch.

so for the same money as.

this from bestbuy
turn all that into just a LCD and tower(we have the rest)

or a computer and monitor that we build and buy from newegg. just a computer and LCD

what would be better performecne was. fyi we dont need a big HDD. maybe and WD 80GB or something close

yer for any price bracket you could get a good build , i reckon for $600 you could get everything she needs ,
i would say
lower end dual core say athlon X2 Or intel Pentium Dual core
Budget motherboard dont need anything too advanced in that department
2gigs of DDR2 Ram again nothing special really needed there either
i would say about 250-320gb hard drive cos you store all your music and vids on there
A cheap vid card like a 7300le cos no real cideo card needed ,
Then an os if you would be purchasing that :D
and a case fans dvd drives etc
and a monitor if required

You know, considering you're in the market for an LCD and tower, it'd probably be better to actually buy your computer from a place like Dell or something, they have a lot of nice monitor/tower combo deals for really cheap. Actually just the other day they were offering two 22" LCDs and a QuadCore desktop/2GB RAM/8300GS(eh)/250GB HDD for a measly $629. Prebuilt computer manufacturers are getting very competitive, I see it as a good thing :D.

but would it be better and plus i want to build her one so i feel better about and for the hands on stuff that i would like to know and what better to start with a office build for my mom.

but if the performence to price ratios are way different and it would be way better to just buy a prebuilt one ill think about it.

and i kida allready have a list on newegg. all i need is the right diricion on a mobo and cpu. i think i am going intel but if AMD is that much cheaper then i'll go AMD. which is better for OCing. i want the most performce for the least green

id get a pre-built one especially if this is gonna be a dummy build your mum isnt gonna want to wait for months on end for you build it and then have to put up with teething problems.
if you wanna build one build your own i know how impatient mom's can be.
upto you though we'll help you out either way.

yup yup 600$ can get a great build

wwot ill post some links for a 2.4 ghz dual core, semi gaming and really multi media rig, 2 gb ram,320 hdd, nice case and amazing monitor and os would that be about what you need man?

processor:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103198

case:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811144001

gfx card (for multimedia)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150249

motherboard (random one someone can probably find one better):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138111

ram:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227124

hdd:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148261

and some random 150 premium xp or vista os. amnd if anyone finds better parts feel free to modify please.

but would it be better and plus i want to build her one so i feel better about and for the hands on stuff that i would like to know and what better to start with a office build for my mom.

but if the performence to price ratios are way different and it would be way better to just buy a prebuilt one ill think about it.

and i kida allready have a list on newegg. all i need is the right diricion on a mobo and cpu. i think i am going intel but if AMD is that much cheaper then i'll go AMD. which is better for OCing. i want the most performce for the least green

Which computer are you referring to on this post? If it's your mom's, which I'm pretty sure it is, you won't need CPU's with great OC'ing capabilities. For her tasks, a lower C2D would be fine. If I were you I would just get the Dell combos, but you mentioned that you want some "practice". I haven't looked at Ace's build yet, but I trust his judgement enough that you could just use what he has posted. So just go with what he has posted, and if any other members have a problem with it, we will discuss it out. You should be able to order soon though.

well i kida have been shoping myself and ill post my list in a bit. i already have a case. my full tower i got from a prebuilt. it is a pretty nice gateway case. semi good cooling and 2x5.25 bays and 2x3.5 bays and 3 internal HDD drive bays. and 7 slots and one 120 rear and a 80 in the front.

so here is my list:

Antec earthwatts EA500 500W ATX12V v2.0 Power Supply

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Black Edition Processor Model ADO5000DSWOF

OCZ OCZ Vendetta 92mm Ball CPU Cooler

found a mobo but no ram yet. i got that cpu off the sticky "new build guide"it is rated pretty good.but maybe i could get a cheaper one.

BIOSTAR TFORCE TA780G M2+ AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
thanks to ace i looked at his link and went over a catitory and found something that dont need a video card and look pretty nice. or am i getting to pricy.

Western Digital Caviar SE WD800AAJS 80GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

all that adds up to 296, all that left is:
RAM
semi nice lcd
she wants xp
and i give her my cd burner becasue ill just get a all in one later on.and thats all she want is a burner so she can make cds

also i should point out that money wise we are not ready to buy a computer just yet. so maybe this fall. but by then i am thinking prices will come down 50-100 bucks overall. but that dont mean we can get better stuff...well maybe...in 3 month all this will perfrom the same and she dont need much more speed the what this has. it should be good for 10 to 15 years when windows pralst ultimate comes out.(not a fact)

Back
Top Bottom