Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 02-28-2007, 12:07 AM   #11
Fully Optimized

Default Re: so I'm playing around a bit with overclocking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabbspapp
It doesn't make it unstable if you raise voltages enough to make it stable.
okay then, a couple questions...

I raised my voltages from 3.4 (default) for my sdram to 3.6 and my core from 1.75 (default) to 1.85, I also changed my timings from 3-3-3-6 to 2-3-3-7 (I know, I know, my computer sucks, that's why I'm trying to OC it)...

I am finally the most stable I've ever been at 1.953ghz (stock 1.5 pentium4 willamette) with a cpu temp at 42* and my mobo at 28* (usually it freezes up within 10 to 15 minutes when I have my fsb over 127, it's 130 right now)...

this is the first time I've raised my voltages in the process of overclocking, is that why it's (130) working...? and how can I find out what the max voltages are before I fry my system...?

and since all my ram is pc-133, theoretically, shouldn't I be able to get up to 133 fsb...?

wol-va-rine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 02:05 AM   #12
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Cabbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by wol-va-rine
okay then, a couple questions...

I raised my voltages from 3.4 (default) for my sdram to 3.6 and my core from 1.75 (default) to 1.85, I also changed my timings from 3-3-3-6 to 2-3-3-7 (I know, I know, my computer sucks, that's why I'm trying to OC it)...

I am finally the most stable I've ever been at 1.953ghz (stock 1.5 pentium4 willamette) with a cpu temp at 42* and my mobo at 28* (usually it freezes up within 10 to 15 minutes when I have my fsb over 127, it's 130 right now)...

this is the first time I've raised my voltages in the process of overclocking, is that why it's (130) working...? and how can I find out what the max voltages are before I fry my system...?

and since all my ram is pc-133, theoretically, shouldn't I be able to get up to 133 fsb...?
Well, there is a limit to how much voltage you want to increase before you start shortening the life of your components, and even then you might not be able to go any higher.

Chances are, it's the ram holding you back, since you dropped the timings. Increase the timings to see if it will let you go higher. Also it depends on the FSB:RAM ratio, because the ram could be running at a higher speed than the FSB is a divider is used.

Old 02-28-2007, 06:20 AM   #13
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabbspapp
Chances are, it's the ram holding you back, since you dropped the timings. Increase the timings to see if it will let you go higher. Also it depends on the FSB:RAM ratio, because the ram could be running at a higher speed than the FSB is a divider is used.
I knew it was the ram holding me back before because I had one stick of pc-125 and I couldn't go higher than 125 with my fsb and run stable, I got a stick of pc-133 and now am running at 130, but it won't go any higher without my computer saying "cpu failure due to overclocking"...

I thought it overclocks better if you decrease some of the timings...? plus, my ratio is 1:1, I also have a 3:4 ratio in the bios, but don't use that...
wol-va-rine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 11:11 AM   #14
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wol-va-rine
I knew it was the ram holding me back before because I had one stick of pc-125 and I couldn't go higher than 125 with my fsb and run stable, I got a stick of pc-133 and now am running at 130, but it won't go any higher without my computer saying "cpu failure due to overclocking"...

I thought it overclocks better if you decrease some of the timings...? plus, my ratio is 1:1, I also have a 3:4 ratio in the bios, but don't use that...
Nah, the FSB will go higher if you increase the timings AFAIK.