So, I'm a computing student who as no idea how to build a computer.....

HellfireGam3s

Solid State Member
although i know the parts required! after a few Google searches, i found some cheap and somewhat affordable parts, but i don't know if they are compatible with each other (i'm assuming that not all parts work with each other here) so here is a list of the stuff i found:

OEM - AMD Sempron X2 Dual-Core (190) 2.5GHz Processor 1MB - Components £34.14
Patriot Extreme Performance Enhanced Latency G2 Series 8 GB Memory - DIMM 240-pin - 1333 MHz ( PC3-10666 ) - 1.5 V £23
XFX Radeon HD 5450 Graphics card - 1 GB - DDR3 SDRAM £19
Akasa AK-5004 - Genesis Tower Case £21
Ace 550W / PSU with 12cm Red Fan / Black £12
MSI G41M-P28 - motherboard - micro ATX - LGA775 Socket - G41 - LGA775 Socket £26
3M Executive Computer Filter Black EF200LB Display screen filter 14" - 16" (CRT) / 15" (LCD) £32
*insert random mouse name here* £3-5
Seagate Pipeline HD 500 GB Internal hard drive Serial ATA-300 3.5" ST3500312CS £30
16GB USB £4-6
Samsung SH-222BB - DVD±RW (±R DL) / DVD-RAM drive - Serial ATA - 48x (CD) / 16x (DVD) 48x (CD) / 22x (DVD±R) / 8x (DVD±R DL) 24x (CD) / 6x (DVD-RW) / 8x (DVD+RW) / 12x (DVD-RAM) - Internal - Black £11
MIN Total: £215.14

if these parts dont work together (if they do i will be amazed) then could you suggest some other parts i could use that would be affordable?

Last edited:
the CPU's socket does not match the motherboard's. the motherboard are running LGA775, it's mostly for the Core 2, centrino, celeron and Pentium 4 series. The motherboard you need got to have a AM2 or AM2+ socket in order to run that CPU.

---------- Post added at 12:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 AM ----------

It's a very low end computer you are building. What you are gonna use it for?

i just want something affordable that i can eventually upgrade to be better, because i want to build my own computers. hopefully, i wanna use it for screen recording while playing games like minecraft or using emulators, but unfortunantly, i have no money right now, so the cheaper it is, the better chance i have of relatives getting the pieces for me :D

yeah it will work, but there are very little upgrading potentials on the socket. AMD are using AM3 now. Try to find an AM2+ motherboard. am2+ can use am2 CPU's, but not the other way around. if you get an am2+ socket motherboard, there will be more and better CPU's to upgrade to when you get some extra cash.

No i'm sorry. I am danish, and we use KR and not euro, also prices are i little higher here in denmark. + you are on a very tight budget. it would be easier if you find it yourself. but i'll recommend an AM2+ socket for future upgrades.
I'll also suggest using linux on that computer. it's good for your learning to use other OS'es then Windows, and it is faster then windows and use less resources.

if you chose to go Linux, you might wan't to cheap out on the RAM and get a 4gig kit and use those money saved on a better CPU or Motherboard if you need extra cash in order to get a AM2+ socket.

I'm probably going to be using windows on it, as my school provide windows OSes for free to students and im more used to it.

Asus M4A78L-M LE Motherboard AM2+ AMD 760G mATX RAID SATA Gigabit LAN £47.99
this should work, right?

MIN total: £247.13

Last edited:
the motherboard i just edited in already has a am2+ socket. its £13 more expensive, but as long as i can keep it under 250, i have a somewhat decent chance of getting it. i hope.

Back
Top Bottom