Small Computer Repair Start-up

andy1027

In Runtime
If I am to start a small computer repair business, for me, self-employed. Can anyone list the basic tools and equipment that I need to be able to repair computers for customers?

Thanks

Basic stuff (installing memory or drives.)
Screw drivers, - get one of those pro regular + jewlers sets. and you'll be fairly sorted for desktops and laptops.
Anti static wrist strap + mat
a boat load of USB sticks that you can install tools onto. (ideally use a single USB stick for each job, and then wipe the stick and put the tools back on it at the end of the day, - you don't want to have a virus put on your tools stick by customer 1 that you then stick into every other PC for the day...

on a similar vein, you'll want recovery CDs for all operating systems since XP.
Live CDs for some Linux distros,
Data recovery tools.
External drive caddy (so you can take data off of a clients hard drive if their main board has failed or something like that.)
then a premesis, place to work.
and public liability insurance...

if you want to go into hardware repair, a hot air soldering station, microscope, and buckets full of partially failed devices that you'll pull components off when needed.

I'm not saying "don't" but fixing hardware can be costly to you and your customer and is very very fiddly. For the price of most bits of hardware used in domestic computers it just isn't worth it. If your going to do industry stuff then that is a whole kettle of fish different.

Basic stuff (installing memory or drives.)
Screw drivers, - get one of those pro regular + jewlers sets. and you'll be fairly sorted for desktops and laptops.
Anti static wrist strap + mat
a boat load of USB sticks that you can install tools onto. (ideally use a single USB stick for each job, and then wipe the stick and put the tools back on it at the end of the day, - you don't want to have a virus put on your tools stick by customer 1 that you then stick into every other PC for the day...

on a similar vein, you'll want recovery CDs for all operating systems since XP.
Live CDs for some Linux distros,
Data recovery tools.
External drive caddy (so you can take data off of a clients hard drive if their main board has failed or something like that.)
then a premesis, place to work.
and public liability insurance...

if you want to go into hardware repair, a hot air soldering station, microscope, and buckets full of partially failed devices that you'll pull components off when needed.

Thanks for the list of stuff I need. I actually already have the premisis, just need the insurance now and the other stuff in the list you have kindly provided.

I'm not saying "don't" but
Ok, I'll bring the negative...

there are too many forums like this, too many helpful people on reddit, computers are cheap. big box stores like PC world have techs that have great parking on retail parks...

when was the last time you saw a PC repair shop that wasn't going out of business?

Ok, I'll bring the negative...

there are too many forums like this, too many helpful people on reddit, computers are cheap. big box stores like PC world have techs that have great parking on retail parks...

when was the last time you saw a PC repair shop that wasn't going out of business?

ERRMM okay seeing that you quoted part of my post I'm going to say, "I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about." PC repair shops are going out of business all over the world. Computers are so, relatively, cheap these days why get them fixed? Just buy a new one. I believe the money is in big business these day and I'm not talking about office computers. AI, robotics etc etc. Domestic computing repair is a non starter. I will admit that my attitude to branching out on your own is if you cannot do it and make a massive fast buck and get out rich there is no point. You might as well work for the man.

Celery has a point. if you're able to do the really fine work, you could make some money doing screen replacements...

Back
Top Bottom