Slower and slower....

winslow33

Daemon Poster
My laptop is giving me a hard time. Whenever I start it up, the Acer screen that always has disaperaed after about 10 seconds is now staying up for almost 5 minutes!!!??? If I sit there and wait for that to go by, it finishes booting Windows and its as fast as it's always been.
I havn't tweaked the BIOS or modified the laptop in any way since before this happened.I can LIVE with it like this but I have to admit its a pain, plus I'm worried about it dying and losing everything.

EDIT: It's an Acer Aspire 5315

Yeah, that isn't normal. When you say "Acer screen" are you talking about the first splash screen that comes up when you first turn on the PC or is this an OEM branded Windows splash screen that comes up after Windows starts loading? Both could potentially point to a difficulty reading from the hard drive, but if it does this before Windows loads then you could potentially have other problems. You could try running a scan on the hard drive to see if there are any errors. A defrag couldn't hurt either. A dying stick of memory could be at fault, but I suspect other symptoms would present if that were the case.

Yeah it's the splash screen right when i turn on the lappy. Where I can hit a key to enter BIOS.

I would try the hard drive stuff anyways. It may be having a hard time reading the MBR. Good luck...

It wouldn't hang at the splash while reading the MBR, I don't think. Normally it attempts that after POST passes.

I had a similar issue, which turned out to be my proc. The processor was no longer able to compute fast enough to keep up with anything the computer was doing. So it would hang at the splash for a very long time. But for some strange reason, the proc only had issues during the splash/POST. It also cleared CMOS everytime the computer was booted...

Have you run a MEMtest?

No I havn't gotten a chance to run any tests, ill try MEMtest and a defrag when I get back home on Sunday though.

I think you might be having trouble with your hard drive...try running some hard drive tests...if the test fails, such as smart, then your hard drive is about to go bad soon.

Back
Top Bottom