Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 02-14-2009, 12:32 PM   #1
In Runtime

Default Slow XP with ALOT of free space??

My friends parants have a desktop with XP SP2 on it. it has like 150Gig hard drive and as of RIGHT now it has 117gigs free. It has updated anti virus from Norton. Its a family computer and they mess with torrents. They have limewire but only have like 4 songs from it. When they use torrents they get what they need and delete them. I downloaded CCleaner and that DID make a difference, but its still slow SOMETIMES. For example if you open Enternet explorer and open multiple tabs lets say 2 or 3, its like the computer gets overwhelmed and just lags around. Then like 45secs-3min later it will pick back up and run normal. Im defraggin it right now, then I was goin to do a trend micro scan, but is there any other things I can do? Maybe add RAM?

religion2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 01:34 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Slow XP with ALOT of free space??

Quote:
Originally Posted by religion2386 View Post
My friends parants have a desktop with XP SP2 on it. it has like 150Gig hard drive and as of RIGHT now it has 117gigs free. It has updated anti virus from Norton. Its a family computer and they mess with torrents. They have limewire but only have like 4 songs from it. When they use torrents they get what they need and delete them. I downloaded CCleaner and that DID make a difference, but its still slow SOMETIMES. For example if you open Enternet explorer and open multiple tabs lets say 2 or 3, its like the computer gets overwhelmed and just lags around. Then like 45secs-3min later it will pick back up and run normal. Im defraggin it right now, then I was goin to do a trend micro scan, but is there any other things I can do? Maybe add RAM?
Running Norton doesn't help. It's unnecessarily tough on resources.

Old 02-14-2009, 01:39 PM   #3
Omnipotent One

Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster

How many and what programs are starting up and running in XP?

Using CCleaner, click on Tools > Startup. There you can see which programs are running and you can also delete the startup entry or just disable any unneeded programs. You can still use the programs afterward, they just wont load up when XP boots, freeing up some resources.
Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 02:12 PM   #4
Fully Optimized

what kind of processor does it have...? single core, dual core, core2quad, etc., how much memory...? also, Norton is absolutely horrible on resources, that's half the problem right there...
MY INTARDNET BEAST ■ Antec 300 ■ Q6600 B3, 2.8GHz @ 1.325v ■ MSI X48C Platinum ■ Kingwin XT-1264 ■ Visiontek HD 4870 512MB ■ 4x1GB Transcend aXeRam DDR3-1800 @ 1400MHz ■ WD Raptor (160GB) ■ Western Digital (250GB) ■ Samsung (640GB) ■ Seagate (500GB) ■ WD Caviar Green (1TB) ■ OCZ ProXStream 1kw ■ Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum ■ JVC HA RX900 ■

ME ■ I am bald and my head is lumpy...fear me ■
wol-va-rine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 02:17 PM   #5
Omnipotent One

Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster

I used to run Norton in many flavors. It's not that bad. Not enough to slow things up as much as he describes.
Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 07:02 PM   #6
In Runtime

This is off the properties of "My Computer"

AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual
Core Processor 3800+
2.00 GHz
448MB of Ram

IDK but thats not much ram AT ALL is it?

Im bout to reformat it I think...There is abunch of uneeded "junk" on it.

Would just going to "Add/Remove Programs" work or what?
religion2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:42 PM   #7
Fully Optimized

You could use a bit more RAM. XP runs great with 1GB and amazing with 2GB. But, do your defragment your drives regularly? Do a disk cleanup and download Auslogics Disk Degframenter. It's free and works wonders.

2.13Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo-2GB DDR2 800 Mhz-500GB Western Digital Caviar Blue- Nvidia 9400M
rohan23 is offline   Reply With Quote