Slow Windows Media Center with Big External HD...

karling07

Daemon Poster
Hey everyone,

I have a 500GB external hard drive that I recently ripped ALL of my moves to. It's completely filled up with High Quality rips of tons of TV shows and all of my movies (so it's full).

So I go into Vista Media Center and click that folder under Videos, and it takes forever to load, forever to navigate, and when i press sideways to look at more videos, it takes like 20 seconds to actually do it

Any ideas on speeding this up? It really makes it unbearable to use...

Im guessing its USB right?

Well, USB 2.0 has a maximum data transfer rate of 480 Mbits/s or 60Mb/s

Internal drives, even the older IDE/ATA drives had a maximum data transfer rate of 133Mb/s, and newer S-ATA drives have 300Mb/s.

The main reasons its so slow is because you have a lot of intense, large files and what is a pretty slow means of connecting it compared to internal drives.

Ok that makes sense, but since I never actually add movies to this collection, is there any way to just make the thing scan a text file or playlist or something that would take like a second... instead of scanning all 500GB of movies EVERY time

well, you could sort them all into sub folders, like alphabetically so that one folder has A, then B or A-B etc

the only other thing i can think of is if windows media player can just scan it once and then you'd have that in the library, ive never tried to do that myself but possibly would work

edit: just had a look, it might be the "Sync" option...

Back
Top Bottom