Slow vista network on one computer but not the other

karling07

Daemon Poster
Hey everyone!

I have two Vista Ultimate computers attached to one network with regular ethernet LAN cables. Each computer has a lot of video files on them that I want to be able to open on either. The network is VERY fast so I know this isn't the problem.

I'm not 100% sure how to do network settings in Vista, but I have disabled UAC, windows firewall, and enabled public file sharing without passwords on both computers. They both have identical connection speeds

So on computer1, I can go into network and sharing and find computer2 and open any shared video file and it will play perfect quality in less than 5 seconds. It can also download any file on computer2 at 10MB/s

On computer2, I can go into network and sharing and its MUCH slower, but I can find computer1, and it takes a while to open each folder. It takes about 4 mins to start even playing the video, and then will play about 1 second before stopping and loading again. It downloads any file on computer1 at about 10kb/s. KB, not MB

something is up but im not sure how to fix it... any ideas?

Slow network transfer speeds seems to be a common issue in Windows Vista, I have seen many solutions to the problem but some of them don't work. I think Microsoft is going to release a patch to fix this soon.

Anyway with that said, What's the spec of your computers?

theyre both core duos with 2GB RAM and 7200RPM hard drives - very new and good computers

Yep - identical... thats why it doesnt make sense that the problem is one way

Back
Top Bottom