slow pc....what can help?

vzfox

Solid State Member
AMD Athlon XP 2600+ processor
ECS Elite Group Motherboard K7VTA3 V.8
2GB DDR RAM
250GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
256 DDR AGP Video Card (NVIDIA GEFORCE FX 5500)
3 Case fans
1 Adjustable CPU fan (turned on high)
Windows XP Home
10Mb/s Cable Internet
IE 7
CA Internet Security Suite (Antivirus, Spyware & Firewall)

Now the questions......It takes about 4 seconds for IE to open to a blank page. It takes about another 5 seconds for IE to open any other web page and when it does, IE will lock up and stop responding half the time. I clean my cookies and temp internet files every couple days. I do a disk cleanup once a week and do a disk defrag every two weeks. I use Outlook Express 6 as my email server and it is slow and sometimes unresponsive. Other offline programs such as Windows Explorer are also slow. I have chosen to use "best performance" and "classic view" instead of having the best look. I use a system managed cache and have ran a diag thru PC PitStop a couple times, and it show to be in good shape/health.

What more can I do to fix this issue?

the CPU and perhaps the speed of the ram. Those are the only things that would help make that build any faster. But to get those you'll also need a new motherboard to accomadate it.

and for your problem there is definetly something wrong there, try running adaware or spyware removal tools, and if not succesful i recommand a reformat with a fresh copy of windows. No matter how old your comp (well you know what i mean) IE shouldnt be that stubborn, even if its made by microsoft.

Your specs are fine, and it should be running great. Especially for just opening webpages.

My bet is that it is your antivirus. Try disabling (or ending the processes) of the antivirus, and then try to load a webpage. You could also try this by booting into safemode, and see if it continues to act this way.

If it works fine without the antivirus, you can safely determine that your problem is with your AV. Ensure that it is completely updated, then look into the configurations. If you can't figure out how to rid your computer of the problem, you will then have 2 options.

1. Remove the AV
2. Call the AV Customer Support and ask how to fix this problem.

Try an antispyware program to see if you have any malaware, is this happening at certain times of day? if so it could be your ISP capping your usage during peek times.

i was going to say you might have you antivirus scanning constontly and that can take alot out of a computer.try temp disabling it . that might improve speeds

i have the same problem,my IE is very very slow, i ran all spyware programs i could think of, i also turned off any and all anitvirus and still the same problem,
heres my solution, download mozilla firefox, i did, no problems whatsoever with firefox, IE still slow, IE sucks

CCleaner. Serach it up on Google. It removes about 2gb of crap every week on my comp. It also scans for registry errors and fixes them, its very usefull

Have you tried running other browsers?
Check to see if you need to defrag, but the browser and email client are free to change, so why not try that before you look at other hardware?

reformat?? yea, not gonna happen....

my really big issue is with Ebay....just about everytime I go to ebay and look things up, after a couple clicks around ebay it will just lock up IE. I have to go to task manager and "end task" and try to start over again, but it just keeps happening over and over, day after day.

I have CA antivirus suite, which includes a spyware program, antivirus program and a firewall. I have turned off windows firewall, and run only the CA firewall (they were conflicting with each other). I have both the antivirus and the spyware programs scheduled to run every two days while i am asleep, but they never seem to find anything. I also have downloaded the free version of Ad-Aware 2007 and it will occassionally find some minor things, but nothing that would effect my issues.

Before i got CA suite, i was running the free version of AVG only. My pc seemed to run a tad better (not much), but AVG never seemed to find anything when it ran either. I think i either have a virus or spyware that is causing these issues, and nothing i have is detecting it.

Back
Top Bottom