Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 02-11-2006, 07:22 PM   #1
In Runtime

Default Slow internet speed.

At the momet I am subscribed to high speed internet that gives me a 1.5mps download rate. I got 2 computers. The first one has a modem and a wireless router. The second computer just has a wireless ethernet card.

So here is the problem. On the first computer I usally get 10-40kbs and on the second computer (which I just built last weekend) I get anywere from 10-100kps. Both wireless routers and the modem can download at 54mbs. So the question is I am getting srewed over? Or am I just doing something wrong?

VirtualDrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 08:11 PM   #2
In Runtime

Default Re: Slow internet speed.

Am going really slow as well right now and am on optus cable 7GB ..... i think am capped but i doubt it.

Old 02-11-2006, 11:28 PM   #3
In Runtime

http://www.computernetworkinghelp.com/content/view/35/2/http://www.computernetworkinghelp.com/content/view/35/2/
Hope that helps
Impruv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 12:21 AM   #4
In Runtime

Thnaks for that, by the way there is double websites in that URL.
Old 02-12-2006, 12:27 AM   #5
In Runtime

Has this been happening consistently or has it just started? Does it flux? What sort of programs that use the internet do you normaly use?

Your service provider could be doing some work on their servers. If you are running any hardcore downloading programs... That will most definetly slow you down.

Good Luck Drone.
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ / DFI Lanparty UT NF4 SLI-DR Expert NVIDIA Socket 939 / FX GeForce 7800 GT 256MB GDDR3 / 2x1GB of G.Skill PC4000 DDR500 3.5.5.10 F1-4000USU2 / 19" Kingston LCD / 550 W ULTRA X-2 PSU / JBL 5.1 / PS CS2.0 / 120 G 7200RPM I also have an Olympus Evolt E-500 digital camera and 9" WS portable DVD player.
LukeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 12:32 AM   #6
In Runtime

Send a message via MSN to RiverS

Hmm i know what you are getting at sometimes peer 2 peer really lags your computer. So if u have that stop it. When my internet was really laggy it was because of the provider (they were having technical dificulties). So give them a ring and find out
RiverS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 02:13 AM   #7
In Runtime

Thanks for the link Impruv. I will see if i can get around to it. I will post back to tell you if it worked or not.

This has been happening consistently. I have been subscribed with my provider (interbaun) with high speed internet for just over a year now. I used to have one system. A p2 400mhz. I just thought that the slow computer was the problem. But now that I got my new computer amd 3500+, 1gb of ram it really hasn't improved much.

It does flux once and awhile. Sometimes it will dl at 5kbs then jump up to 40kbs and then level out at 20ish kbs. For the internet I use programs like firefox, azureus and online gaming.

I have had this problem from the start and I don't think that it is my internet provider having technical dificulties. This is really starting to tick me off because I am paying good money and I can't even get speeds higher then 56k dial up. I am thinking of switching over to shaw or something like that, but it would be better if I could fix the problem.

Thanks guys.
Old 02-12-2006, 02:53 AM   #8
Fully Optimized

even with high speed internet wireless is really slow, if u want to speed it up u will need a faster router (there are some out there that claim to be 5x faster than 108mbs) and u will need better ethernet cards, otherwise u can do it the easy way and just use ethernet
Old 02-12-2006, 02:56 AM   #9
In Runtime

Send a message via MSN to RiverS

ahh wires!!! how i hate them. I play lots of games and have a Netgear 54mbs router...works fine for me.
Old 02-12-2006, 02:56 AM   #10
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaming_freak
even with high speed internet wireless is really slow, if u want to speed it up u will need a faster router (there are some out there that claim to be 5x faster than 108mbs) and u will need better ethernet cards, otherwise u can do it the easy way and just use ethernet
That doesn't make any sense. my router can support up to 54mbs. The first computer is conected directly and it is still very slow. So I don' think that buying a faster router will help.