Slow computer with low virtual memory

I used to run 98 with more then 512mb installed. I'm sure IRStookmycat realizes having more memory installed would be a big help. The errors being seen there however are due to the lack of drive space reserved for virtual memory. The more ram the larger the paging file which can also be disabled or custom sized.

I'm obviously no expert, but I'm just guessing it has to do with his lack of physical memory since it shouldn't be because of his drive space, he'd have to have a 750GB hdd to have less than 10% left with roughly 63GBs of free space, or is it strictly cpu and hdd space related with memory not factoring in at all...? I always thought memory factored in a little bit, just not as much as the cpu and hdd, I could easily be wrong, I've been wrong before...

;)

Obviously seeing a good 2gb go on the system there would be a large performance boost plus offering more stability in Windows. But the "out of memory" error generally points at a drive being filled up to a point where there's a lack of space needed for the temporary storage on the drive in order to suppliment the physical memory installed.

I've run into it enough times here working with video capturing and seeing drive space taken up fast. That older model Dell likely only saw a 60gb or 80gb drive when new. Run the system for a few years and see how fast that gets filled.

Obviously seeing a good 2gb go on the system there would be a large performance boost plus offering more stability in Windows. But the "out of memory" error generally points at a drive being filled up to a point where there's a lack of space needed for the temporary storage on the drive in order to suppliment the physical memory installed.

I've run into it enough times here working with video capturing and seeing drive space taken up fast. That older model Dell likely only saw a 60gb or 80gb drive when new. Run the system for a few years and see how fast that gets filled.

being that it was an older model PC I figured he had a 40GB hdd, but he posted earlier that he had roughly 62GBs of free space, so I figured he probably had an 80GB or 160GB hdd, he shouldn't be getting that error with that much free space unless something is fubarred...

With any copy of Windows left running for a few years and having never seen a reformat to freshen things up every so often a drive will accumilate quite a bit. If you keep adding a new program every so often or download new files eventually you will run out of space. That's only a matter of time.

What IRStookmycat has to do now is look over the percentage of space being used by right clicking on the drive icon in MyComputer where a pie chart illustration can be seen. Blue is used while red is free drive space. If you only see a small sliver of red... ut oh! you will need to remove any extra files you have stored on the drive.

With some 62gb of free drive space the drive could also be seeing bad sectors from wear over time. The drive heads can also be worn to a degree where now problems are being seen in the creation of the paging file itself.

If you added any new programs lately that generally expect to see more then 256mb installed like a requirement or recommendation for at least 512mb that's another thing to look at as well. On any older system you have to start weighing several possible factors.

Back
Top Bottom