Default Re: Slow computer with low virtual memory

<<deleted>>

Holysky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 12:23 AM   #12
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge1970 View Post
As I pointed earlier that system should able to run 2gb of DDR memory without any problem being the maximum for the two dimm slots which is more then adequate for Windows there. http://support.dell.com/support/edoc....htm#wp1075776

As far as just what Crucial memory is compatible with the Dimension 3000 1gb dimms of either PC2700 or PC3200 memory run $30.99 at http://www.crucial.com/store/listpar...mension%203000
given the fact that he's seems to be a novice when it comes to computers, I don't think it's a good idea for him to start messing with his registry before finding out whether the problem is a hardware issue (not enough memory) or a configuration issue (registry, etc.), I suspect that it's probably because 256MB of RAM is pretty much insufficient to run XP...

I also have no idea why you linked the memory from the Crucial site, it's slower and more expensive than the memory I linked from Newegg...

MY INTARDNET BEAST ■ Antec 300 ■ Q6600 B3, 2.8GHz @ 1.325v ■ MSI X48C Platinum ■ Kingwin XT-1264 ■ Visiontek HD 4870 512MB ■ 4x1GB Transcend aXeRam DDR3-1800 @ 1400MHz ■ WD Raptor (160GB) ■ Western Digital (250GB) ■ Samsung (640GB) ■ Seagate (500GB) ■ WD Caviar Green (1TB) ■ OCZ ProXStream 1kw ■ Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum ■ JVC HA RX900 ■

ME ■ I am bald and my head is lumpy...fear me ■
wol-va-rine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 01:31 AM   #13
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wol-va-rine View Post
given the fact that he's seems to be a novice when it comes to computers, I don't think it's a good idea for him to start messing with his registry before finding out whether the problem is a hardware issue (not enough memory) or a configuration issue (registry, etc.), I suspect that it's probably because 256MB of RAM is pretty much insufficient to run XP...

I also have no idea why you linked the memory from the Crucial site, it's slower and more expensive than the memory I linked from Newegg...
First those two are simple automatic cleaners including options for restoring the registry. Those are generally safe and easy to use.

Not all memory will be compatible with a certain model prebiuld. You'll note the "guranteed compatible" statement there since most older prebuilds use value ram not any gaming/performance memory. On some older models you will find that you had to use single sided not dual sided memory seeing ic chips on one side only.
Dodge1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 04:58 AM   #14
Baseband Member

this was my first question when i came here.
my laptop started at 512 MBs I bought 2Gs for 40$s or so

Now im back and need more cpu lol
Old 12-22-2008, 05:09 AM   #15
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge1970 View Post
First those two are simple automatic cleaners including options for restoring the registry. Those are generally safe and easy to use.

Not all memory will be compatible with a certain model prebiuld. You'll note the "guranteed compatible" statement there since most older prebuilds use value ram not any gaming/performance memory. On some older models you will find that you had to use single sided not dual sided memory seeing ic chips on one side only.
what's simple to you and me could be very confusing to a novice, people look at me like 'm crazy when I try to explain how easy it is to build a computer...

I've never run into any problems with memory, maybe I'm just lucky, also, I have a few friends who have the exact same model Dell and every stick of RAM I've installed to upgrade their system has worked, I just think those "guarantees" are a way to squeeze more $$ out of people who just don't know any better...
MY INTARDNET BEAST ■ Antec 300 ■ Q6600 B3, 2.8GHz @ 1.325v ■ MSI X48C Platinum ■ Kingwin XT-1264 ■ Visiontek HD 4870 512MB ■ 4x1GB Transcend aXeRam DDR3-1800 @ 1400MHz ■ WD Raptor (160GB) ■ Western Digital (250GB) ■ Samsung (640GB) ■ Seagate (500GB) ■ WD Caviar Green (1TB) ■ OCZ ProXStream 1kw ■ Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum ■ JVC HA RX900 ■

Old 12-22-2008, 05:37 PM   #16
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wol-va-rine View Post
what's simple to you and me could be very confusing to a novice, people look at me like 'm crazy when I try to explain how easy it is to build a computer...

I've never run into any problems with memory, maybe I'm just lucky, also, I have a few friends who have the exact same model Dell and every stick of RAM I've installed to upgrade their system has worked, I just think those "guarantees" are a way to squeeze more $$ out of people who just don't know any better...
I was simply pointing out that unless you know for sure one type of memory will work on a particular model you have to go by what the manufacturer shows is supported. With the newer models this type of thing is no longer any type of problem.

Guanrantees trying to squeeze more money out of guilable... naaa....
Old 12-25-2008, 07:23 PM   #17
BSOD

oK guys I defragged my computer and used Ccleaner. However it is still crashing and I am still getting the "low on virtual memory" message.
IRStookmycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 08:15 PM   #18
Daemon Poster

Time to start backing some things up off the drive since you will need to remove them in order to free up drive space. Once a drive gets filled over a certain percentage you will see this error message come up.

It's a common problem that can be fixed. Review the information seen at http://www.microsoft.com/atwork/gets...blems.mspx#ETB
Old 12-25-2008, 10:27 PM   #19
Fully Optimized

dude, you need memory, running XP with 256MB is gonna be slow even with a fresh install...

Old 12-25-2008, 11:05 PM   #20
Daemon Poster

I used to run 98 with more then 512mb installed. I'm sure IRStookmycat realizes having more memory installed would be a big help. The errors being seen there however are due to the lack of drive space reserved for virtual memory. The more ram the larger the paging file which can also be disabled or custom sized.