Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-10-2009, 02:05 PM   #1
Beta Member

Default slow computer even with 2GB memory???

hi, i've had my toshiba laptop for about a year and a half now, and for the first year it was fine, very quick, and i could perform several very taxing processes at the same time without a problem.

recently however it has slowed down a lot, even though i dont have many thing running. looking at the task manager, there are maybe 7 or 8 processes running, with most of them being system things. however if i were to start burning a DVD, for example, it would only take up maybe 75 MB of memory. but it will slow the laptop down to a snail's pace, making even simple things like typing a paper in Word impossible. the memory in the task manager though says only 42% of the physical memory is being used (less than 900MB out of 2GB). the cpu usage is at 100%

just wondering what the problem is and what i can do to fix it
thanks!

forgot to mention, i'm running Vista home 32bit, have 160 GB HDD, 1.73 Ghz, and most importantly.. I HAVE TURNED OFF ALL animation, special effects, transparency, etc.. it's basically like i'm running XP (visually)

incubusfanclm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 02:07 PM   #2
Beta Member

Default Re: slow computer even with 2GB memory???

What spec are you running?

connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 02:07 PM   #3
Omnipotent One

Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster

Have you done a disk cleanup and defrag lately?

Here's a nice app that will help you clean up and optimize your system: CCleaner
Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 02:08 PM   #4
Beta Member

forgot to mention, i'm running Vista home 32bit, have 160 GB HDD, 1.73 Ghz, and most importantly.. I HAVE TURNED OFF ALL animation, special effects, transparency, etc.. it's basically like i'm running XP (visually)
incubusfanclm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 02:34 PM   #5
Baseband Member

i've had the same issues in the past on my desktop - cleaning up your computer might help.
personally like recommended above, i use ccleaner and defraggler.
http://www.ccleaner.com/download
http://www.defraggler.com/

also, run malware http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php
(that program rescued my computer from some spyware and viruses that were slowing it down like none other).
IF it is a virus or spyware, scanning and running different freeware programs can be time-taxing and frustrating. but stick with it. the only reason i say it can be malicious software is because you compared it to how your laptop "was" - and i had a similar situation on my desktop.
indiancheef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 03:36 PM   #6
Daemon Poster

get diskeeper 2009 and your computer will be defragged all the time by itself.
bruinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 04:04 PM   #7
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via MSN to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-CHRIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by incubusfanclm View Post
hi, i've had my toshiba laptop for about a year and a half now, and for the first year it was fine, very quick, and i could perform several very taxing processes at the same time without a problem.

recently however it has slowed down a lot, even though i dont have many thing running. looking at the task manager, there are maybe 7 or 8 processes running, with most of them being system things. however if i were to start burning a DVD, for example, it would only take up maybe 75 MB of memory. but it will slow the laptop down to a snail's pace, making even simple things like typing a paper in Word impossible. the memory in the task manager though says only 42% of the physical memory is being used (less than 900MB out of 2GB). the cpu usage is at 100%

just wondering what the problem is and what i can do to fix it
thanks!

What application is using 100% of memory? You likely need to click the "show processes from all users" tab in windows to see what's doing it.
DJ-CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 09:04 PM   #8
Golden Master

if your not using programs like YIM, Xfire, MSN, AIM, ect u should close them, they tend to hog up resorces, and make sure at times when it seams really bad that you dont have a system scan going on, my old comp usto slow way down for no reason till i realised nortan was active
Old 05-11-2009, 12:27 AM   #9
In Runtime

OK if its running slow u might wana do this
go to new task buy hitting alt ctrl delete task manger then application new task and type
msconfig
go to start up and remove all the programs u know that arnt needed like aim and other stuff. by removing i mean unchecking them after that click apply and ok and restart. That will help alot.
noobbuilder2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 01:02 AM   #10
Fully Optimized

Auslogics Disk Defragmenter.

http://www.auslogics.com/disk-defrag

It's free and amazing. Scan for viruses. It's highly unlikely that's the cause, but it's always worth a shot.

2.13Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo-2GB DDR2 800 Mhz-500GB Western Digital Caviar Blue- Nvidia 9400M
rohan23 is offline   Reply With Quote