SLI vs. Crossfire

Pancake92

Baseband Member
I am just curious as to which you prefer, SLI or Crossfire. If there is a difference in performance between the two could y'all please let me know. I am just inquiring about this because I am going to build a new system, but I don't know which one would be better. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

i prefure crossfire, just sounds better

though it seems SLI can usually scale better, though it does depends on the benchmarking program and game.

From a neutral point of view I would go crossfire.
This is because

Intel chipsets dont yet support SLI so you cant have an i5 or i7 CPU with SLI its coming soon if intel and nVidia kiss and make up

AMD/ATI GFX cards are generally cheaper and support full audio over HDMI (nVidia may now have this feature I am not sure but ATI had it first)

In my opinion these kind of dual praphics card setups never justified their price tag usually there is less then a %40 increase in FPS. This is not a hardware problem more that the drivers are still young and the support isnt being put into the games.

This is because

Intel chipsets dont yet support SLI so you cant have an i5 or i7 CPU with SLI its coming soon if intel and nVidia kiss and make up

AMD/ATI GFX cards are generally cheaper and support full audio over HDMI (nVidia may now have this feature I am not sure but ATI had it first)

In my opinion these kind of dual praphics card setups never justified their price tag usually there is less then a %40 increase in FPS. This is not a hardware problem more that the drivers are still young and the support isnt being put into the games.

Huh? The X58 Chipset for the LGA1366 platform supports SLI and CrossFire
The P55 Chipset for the LGA1156 platform supports SLI and CrossFire
The SkullTrail chipset for Intel's 5400 SkullTrail board supported SLI
Prior Intel chipsets do not support SLI. (X38/X48/P35/P43/P45/etc..)
All Nvidia Chipset boards support SLI

This is because

Intel chipsets dont yet support SLI so you cant have an i5 or i7 CPU with SLI its coming soon if intel and nVidia kiss and make up.

Umm, you do know that the Intel Core i5 and i7 chipsets both support SLI as well as crossfire right??

ATI=CrossFire
Nvidia=SLI

Crossfire or SLI is dependent on the brand of your GPU. For example, you can't have two GTX 260's and call it Crossfire.

I guess I'd choose CrossFire because ATI has the fastest GPU on the market and X2 of them would be even faster.

I've always though CrossFire was ATI's version of Nvidia's SLI and vice verse. Maybe I'm wrong?

I guess I'd choose CrossFire because ATI has the fastest GPU on the market and X2 of them would be even faster.

I've always though CrossFire was ATI's version of Nvidia's SLI and vice verse. Maybe I'm wrong?

No, you are quite right.

The Scalable Link Interface first hit the market with the...VooDoo cards? It was called something else back then, but still SLI. It was also not quite by Nvidia, but 3dfx who was later purchased by Nvidia.

Back
Top Bottom