SLI Really worth it?

mayorredbeard

Daemon Poster
Is it true if your running nvidias sli with dual cards that their needs to be drivers released for the game you want to play. IE: You want to play a game using nvidias dual 6800 gt's using SLI, but nvidia had not made drivers for that game yet, is it true the SLI will pretty much do nothing?

I'll say no right off the bat. In fact, it isn't stable. I don't see why you need two 6800 GTs. One will due just fine. SLI is not very stable either.. I've heard some horror stories about it.

Yeah, there are the horror and success stories about SLI...but, nVIDIA did a good job pushing the bar :)

yeah, if u have the money to cough up almost 1300 for just a mobo, and two graphics cards, then go ahead. but i say just get a 6800 single. itll do u good. no matter what. im wating until the 6950 comes out. btw, when is it coming out? anybody know?

I had no desire for it, weither I could afford it or not... From what I read it's not that great unless you have games that are optimised for it, just as a regular duel processor system...

high cost, unreliable performance gain for now. However, go ahead and buy an SLi ready motherboard and single SLi capable video card. When games are more optimized and nvidia improves their SLi drivers and profile, then you can always buy a second card later.

jac006 said:
yeah, if u have the money to cough up almost 1300 for just a mobo, and two graphics cards, then go ahead. but i say just get a 6800 single. itll do u good. no matter what. im wating until the 6950 comes out. btw, when is it coming out? anybody know?

Umm well the next Nvidia card, the 7800 GTX is coming out in late June.

Giancarlo said:
Umm well the next Nvidia card, the 7800 GTX is coming out in late June.

I';ll be watching that carefully upon release. I wonder which one of us in this forum will be the first one to get it? Yeah, looking at the specs make me dizzy.

Back
Top Bottom