SLI Question

tj107us1

In Runtime
What is SLI and what does it do? I know in a 3-way SLI you have 3 video cards, which then you have to have 3 monitors right?

SLI allows you to run multiple video cards at once. They are all connected though, so it's sort of like a multi core processor (sorta kinda). Basically, you get around an 80% boost with the first one added, and a 70% boost with the third. That's theoretical mind you. Basically, the scaling isn't perfect, but it's a nice option for upgrading.

CrossFireX is basically the same thing.

If you are trying to do surround vision, don't. It murders your performance.

Go with ATI eyefinity, which is a hardware solution. It is much more efficient.

What is SLI and what does it do? I know in a 3-way SLI you have 3 video cards, which then you have to have 3 monitors right?

Plus, you don't necessarily need three monitors.
You can hook up all the cards to one monitor and have them all power the screen on one monitor (Overkill)

Ive already checked out that website. I have another question regarding SLI setup, when you hook up lets say two EVGA 01G-P3-1158-TR GeForce GTS 250 with a core clock of 738 Mhz will it then be double? If so then would the same be ture for the RAM of the card should be 2 Gb instead of 1Gb?

Ive already checked out that website. I have another question regarding SLI setup, when you hook up lets say two EVGA 01G-P3-1158-TR GeForce GTS 250 with a core clock of 738 Mhz will it then be double? If so then would the same be ture for the RAM of the card should be 2 Gb instead of 1Gb?

no, also, you can sometimes SLI/X-fire different cards, then both cards will only run as fast as the slowest card, and the memory isn't doubled either, if you have a 1GB model SLIed/X-fired with a 512MB model, each card will only use 512MBs...

It increases your performance. It does not increase the framebuffer.

Stick to single card if at all possible. The only times you should SLI arr if you already have one card, or if you are doing two very high end cards.

What is your budget?

well i was thinking about this card

SAPPHIRE Vapor-X 100281-2GVXSR Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

i know two of these cards would be overkill and besides i only have the money for one.

how good is this card?
EVGA 012-P3-1178-TR GeForce GTX 275 CO-OP PhysX Edition 1280MB 448+192-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

Back
Top Bottom