Sli?

blewandowski_69

In Runtime
Someone please explain the basics of SLi to me please i know what it is I need a very good overview of everything it can offer, and what the 16x is about. Im a bit new to the Sli thing

Thanks,
Bryan

Imagine putting 2 engines into a car, that's a somewhat simliar analogy to SLI'ing 2 video cards. And the 16x is the bandwidth, I'm pretty sure 16x is the highest out for now

Can u SLi two different interfaces

im getting an intel board that has agp and pci express on it.

yup, all boards have 16x but most, i think like mine split it to 8x per card when u sli two. if u can get a board that doesnt you will have better performance. it is like putting two engines into a car, except that some games it only gives about 60% better performance in. i myself would not go SLI if i could go back. because after your done paying for psu, mobo, gpu(2), and all that so u dont limit the cards you could've gottena cheaper pci-ex board and not had to upgrade everything in there and got a 7800gtx or something which will play all the newest games out fine anyway.

_Niko said:
Can u SLi two different interfaces

im getting an intel board that has agp and pci express on it.

nope, you'd be getting the ULI i think and you cant, only pci-ex with pci-ex. and it has to be the same cards. MSI 6600gt with EVGA 6600gt. u cant mix a 6800gt with an ultra.

so what should i look for on newegg to get a mobo with 2, 16x bandwiths for 2 gpu's will it say

Expansion Slots
PCI Express x16 2
PCI Express x1 2

and does anyone know were i can learn easily how to set up my build, links pictures anything videos would be most helpful.

Thanks,
Bryan

money_man said:
nope, you'd be getting the ULI i think and you cant, only pci-ex with pci-ex. and it has to be the same cards. MSI 6600gt with EVGA 6600gt. u cant mix a 6800gt with an ultra.
what if i had 2 x850s...

nope, the x850 series is ATI which would require crossfire technology, not SLI which is for nvidia. as for the mobo choice, it should say just SLI but reading father down it should talk about it being 16x on both slots. as for the making it part, lots of guys on here could guide u through the build some day on msn if you needed help, thats how i built mine. only tip it discharge static electricity as much as possible, dont shuffle around to build up static, and pretty much theres one hole for one thing, not like u can fit a video card into a ram slot

Back
Top Bottom