Skype question

Szat

Daemon Poster
I've been using Skype for some time for webcam chats with my family and friends, but I'm going to be moving back to Rhode Island to live with a few college buddies and we don't have a phone. Cell phone service sucks in our area and for $2.95 per month I can get 10,000 minutes to call anywhere in the U.S. and Canada. I was wondering if this works just like a regular phone. As long as I'm logged into Skype people can call my number from their mobile or house phones right?

I've been using Skype for some time for webcam chats with my family and friends, but I'm going to be moving back to Rhode Island to live with a few college buddies and we don't have a phone. Cell phone service sucks in our area and for $2.95 per month I can get 10,000 minutes to call anywhere in the U.S. and Canada. I was wondering if this works just like a regular phone. As long as I'm logged into Skype people can call my number from their mobile or house phones right?

Yep, and you can call them through Skype onto their phone.
A neat feature is that on Skype, when you set it up, if you see phone numbers online, Skype sets it up so you can click those numbers and call.
It takes away the hassle of remembering or writing down numbers.
Only problem is Skype isn't really portable, you can't really move your desktop, and even with a laptop, it's like lugging around a 5 pound phone, so you can't really talk in the entire house.

They do sell Wi-Fi phones on the skype website.

Also you can get a "skype-in" number for $30 per year that is a number that people can call from anyphone and it will make skype ring on your computer.

They do sell Wi-Fi phones on the skype website.

Also you can get a "skype-in" number for $30 per year that is a number that people can call from anyphone and it will make skype ring on your computer.

The $30 p/yr is the $2.95 per month (actually, $35 p/yr) right? Or is it just $2.95 p/m for a Skype out?

I don't have to worry about portability. This is mostly to make business calls back to Connecticut.

Back
Top Bottom