Skylake... disappointed.

~Darkseeker~

Fully Optimized
I was so ready to love Skylake. I'd been waiting for it since I heard about it, reading up all the time on the latest leaks, and there sure were a lot of them.

However, after watching 30+ videos regarding these chips and their pros and cons, I must say I'm hugely disappointed.

Yes, DDR4 support on a consumer (non-enthusiast) grade chipset (Z170) and PCI lanes on the chipset is cool. Means more PCI based storage without killing performance on your GPU. However... there are, in my eyes, a few problems here.

1. The 6700k is on SCAN right now for £319...with a base and boost of 4.0/4.2GHz. 4 cores, 8 threads. In contrast, the 5820k (6 core, 12 thread) is only £299...

2. The 5820k has 28 PCI lanes on the CPU, Intel haven't published the PCI lane information in plain sight for the 6700k anywhere I can find it, but I have a feeling it only has 16 (1x16 config, 2x8 config etc). The lanes on the chipset mean you won't be using any of them for M.2 or PCI-e based storage, but only 16 CPU PCIe lanes means no x16 SLI configs, you'll be stuck at x8 per card, and that sucks for a chip that costs MORE than the 5820k.

3. woah... temps. NCIX got both their chips to touch 80c, and the i7 to touch 98C (though they say it was possibly faulty). This is pretty ridiculous when using a H100i GTX... This was overclocked though, but still, at 4.5GHz a desktop chip shouldn't be touching 80C IMHO.

4. the i5-6600k is showing around an 11% increase on the 4690k, but the i7 is basically neck and neck with the 4790k... so, what was the point of this chip again?

Hoping the when the rest of the 6th gen chips hit later on in Q3 2015 they will make more sense.

/rantover :whistling::lol:

Last edited:
According to anandtech.com the 6700k should cost 350 USD (225 Pounds)
Don't know if hardware are more expensive in England, but it should still be cheaper than the 5820k.
The price on the 5820k on PCPartPicker.com is around 380 (245 Pounds).
So in the US you can get it for 20 bucks cheaper. Not much, but still cheaper rather than more expensive.

Links:
https://pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80648i75820k (note that Microcenter's special offer at 300 bucks has expired)
The Intel 6th Gen Skylake Review: Core i7-6700K and i5-6600K Tested

... that's simply unfair.
The 6700k HAS to be cheaper than the 5820K.
I mean, it's an Haswell-E CPU god damn it. :lol:

A feature-packed Z170 board is way cheaper than a similarly equipped X99 board though, so I suppose that's the tradeoff one would make

I'm hoping to make a move over to PCI based storage in the near future, in that sense Skylake makes sense, but only with single-GPU configs. With dual GPUs X99 still makes more sense with flash storage

2x GPU's in SLI or Crosfire should still not bottleneck at "8x x2 PCI-E 3.0".
And as far as i remember most SSD PCI-E cards are only running at 2x - 4x and maybe 8x at best, lanes.
Please correct me if i am wrong.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom