Skipping

crk06c

Beta member
Hey there,

Researched this, couldn't find anything with enough specific, relative info, so I joined here to ask.

My computer is skipping. about every 1.5 seconds, the cursor pauses, then jumps forward. This corresponds with a skipping in the audio and video (like when watching videos on youtube). The problem is immediately apparent on startup, even before login on the Welcome screen.

Dell XPS M1210
Windows XP Professional 32 Bit w/ SP3
No recent installations

Very well could be lack of sufficient memory. But since It's XP, I'd highly doubt it. So we'll call it a corrupted registry. Download CCleaner and use the file cleanup tool and the Registry Sweeper. Also defragment the harddrive.

Might also be an overheating problem (I had a similar issue recently). Try running Speedfan to see if this could be the issue.

It could be your hard drive croaking. I experienced those symptoms before I had to RMA mine. My computer would constantly freeze for 1-2 seconds from the second I logged on.

How old is the hard drive? LIke Ghost said it could be the hard drive. happened to me, died after 7 years.

Back
Top Bottom