simple mobo question

iffy

In Runtime
If I replace a motherboard with an identical motherboard, would I have to reinstall all the drivers and programs and network settings?

If the motherboard is exactly identical, no. You may not even have to reinstall the OS.

Edit: When changing a motherboard, Microsoft considers that a "new build"; therefore requires that you purchase another license for Windows. However, I've read that if the motherboard is EXACTLY identical, then it's not considered a new build as this is considered a replacement.

Edit: When changing a motherboard, Microsoft considers that a "new build"; therefore requires that you purchase another license for Windows. However, I've read that if the motherboard is EXACTLY identical, then it's not considered a new build as this is considered a replacement.

Only if it's an OEM copy of Windows. Not sure how an OEM copy would respond to a different but exact same model mobo in there, but I don't think it would work without a call to MS. I could be wrong as I've never had to do it. If you have a retail copy, then no worries.

Right Im a little confused here. My main concern is that I do not wanna lose any settings for my programs or networks. So if I had to load windows for the new mobo, would I automatically not lose all my settings anyway?

Back
Top Bottom