Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-30-2010, 04:24 PM   #1
In Runtime

Send a message via MSN to Dustin_Broke Send a message via Yahoo to Dustin_Broke Send a message via Skype™ to Dustin_Broke
Default Similar GeForce cards

I notice that they are similar cards like example the GeForce FX 5200 that has DDR 128mb and one that is a GeForce 6200 that also has DDR 128mb. Now will both of these cards perform the same since both have same mb and DDR type ram.

Dustin_Broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 04:52 PM   #2
Daemon Poster

Default Re: Similar GeForce cards

no, the 6200 probably has more cores, shaders, etc

Old 05-30-2010, 04:59 PM   #3
Omnipotent One

Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster

Yea, you need to look at more than just the memory amount and speed. You have to look at the actual specs of the GPU's to get a better understanding of their performance.
Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 06:26 PM   #4
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster View Post
Yea, you need to look at more than just the memory amount and speed. You have to look at the actual specs of the GPU's to get a better understanding of their performance.
Or just benchmarks, since the end performance is all that really matters.
Old 05-30-2010, 06:32 PM   #5
In Runtime

Send a message via MSN to Dustin_Broke Send a message via Yahoo to Dustin_Broke Send a message via Skype™ to Dustin_Broke

Ok now how about something like this example. If I had a ATI Radeon 9250 that has 128mb and a GeForce FX 5200 or 5500 that also has 128mb will they perform the same in this case? I heard someone said that those two cards are the same grade.
Old 05-30-2010, 06:42 PM   #6
Site Team

As said above, it's impossible to say without looking at the other specs of those particular GPUs - I don't know them off by heart so couldn't say! There's MUCH more to a graphics card than just the amount of memory it has, these days they're essentially little computers in their own right (most cards have BIOSes of their own, memory, processor(s) that in themselves differ greatly, chipsets, etc.

One PC with 2GB of RAM could vary drastically to another with the same amount of memory - you've got all sorts of factors to take into consideration (and not all of these are even on a hardware level!) It's exactly the same story with graphics cards.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:33 PM   #7
In Runtime

Good news but I got a GeForce FX 5200 128mb for $19.50 with shipping on Ebay. I hope this card will be better than my onboard Intel AGP chip. I did get the PCI version since my motherboard can only have PCI type cards. I guess I just hope that it will work on my system and I hope that my games will run better than now. Since my system should be able to handle older video cards like this one. I did talk to the tech guys at a local store and they said my system doesn't use much power so 150 watts will work they said.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:38 PM   #8
Omnicide now.

You do not have 150w. I recall your psu having 48 on the 12v rail.

Don't say we didn't tell you when your psu blows up and kills all your components. It's bound to happen.
foothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 08:49 PM   #9
In Runtime

Well the tech guy said that at max my power supply can handle 150 watts but they said normaly it probley runs less power. I also told them about someone saying mine was only 48 watts but they thought you were saying that maybe with all the components connected it might use that much but still have 102 watts left. They did say since this card is old it will use less than 20 watts so I should be fine. I actualy showed them the tower to this tech guy that works a DIT computers.

Even the GeForce 8400 GS uses 20 at most someone has actualy tested that. I read this in a different forums
Old 05-30-2010, 08:53 PM   #10
Omnicide now.

Whoever told you this was horribly misinformed. Your psu only has a 4A +12v rail. That equated to 48w. The 12v rail is the one that powers the main components. There is no way in hell that you will be able to get away with what you are trying. It will die, it's just a matter of time and whether or not it takes any other components with it.

foothead is offline   Reply With Quote