Silver heatsink

obetskie1960

Solid State Member
Good day!
I have a toshiba NB255-N245 and having a very high temperature. Upon booting my netbook I got 70 degrees of temp and it will go as high as 100 degrees and eventually it will shutdown. I checked the cpu and found out that the original thermal pad was already worn out and the heatsink is something like silver or aluminum. My question is can i apply thermal paste instead of pad to the kind of heatsink i had?

please help. I am thinking that if i apply thermal paste instead of the original thermal pad it will burn my cpu or get grounded.

thank you

Attachments

• IMG_20180814_170027.JPG
    IMG_20180814_170027.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20180814_170027.jpeg
    IMG_20180814_170027.jpeg
    48.9 KB · Views: 5
As a general rule, thermal paste doesn't wear out. However, it can dry out if subjected to consistently high temps. Ensure that the fan is working and the vents and channels that allow air flow are free from dirt and lint.

You can replace the thermal paste that's already there but make sure to thoroughly clean the existing thermal compound from the top of the cpu and the bottom of the heatsink. When applying the new paste, apply only a small amount to the top of the cpu, more is not better in this case. Don't worry about spreading the paste around, the pressure from the heatsink will do that.

+1 to what strollin said.

Thermal paste is supposed to be a thin layer. Its purpose is to fill in any imperfections between the CPU and heatsink in order to better facilitate the transfer of heat. "Thermal pads" are usually way too thick and act more like insulation holding the heat into the CPU.

Thank you for the reply.

Your response was not so clear to me maybe because my question was not clear too. Let me rephrase my question.

The original cooling stuff in my CPU is THERMAL PAD only, and I would want to replace it with THERMAL PASTE instead of the original pad. If you will notice my heatsink is not made of copper but something like "silver or aluminum" ( i don' t know how you call it). My questions are:
1. Is it possible to replace the "original" THERMAL pad with THERMAL paste?
2. If so, can I use the thermal paste with the kind of heatsink (silver or aluminum) shown on the picture?

Thank you so much for your time

The cooler you posted in the picture would still need thermal paste to work.

The thing that most likely happened is that the thermal paste wore out or the air intakes are blocked by dust.

If the computer used to work cooler, there is no need to replace the cooler unless it's not working.

It's not cooler OR thermal paste. It's both, always. A cooler does nothing without paste, and thermal paste does nothing without a cooler.

Thank you to all who responded to my problem.

sorry for being so ignorant. The usual heatsink that i am aware of is a silver metal with copper underneath. but mine is pure metal without any copper attach on it. If i will use my heatsink and apply thermal paste on it, will the heat dissipate or it will dissipate only with copper heatsink? I was thinking the reason why toshiba put thermal pad instead of paste it is because the heatsink is just pure silver metal without any copper. I am afraid to apply thermal paste from the original pad because the cpu might burn if i turn it on since my heatsink is not copper.

Copper is not the only alternative. Some coolers are made of aluminum, since it's cheaper and lighter.

Back
Top Bottom