signs of a failing hard drive?

skidave

Beta member
I have a sony laptop which is a few years old. It recently developed a problem where the hard drive access light goes to a solid on and then anything after that which involves the hard drive (opening a file, etc.) causes the computer to freeze up. The light will stay on for a few minutes with the computer barely operable, then the light will shut off. At this point, the computer becomes completely frozen. It'll stay like this for a few minutes, then laptop will reboot on its own.

This is starting to happen more frequently. Sometimes I can use the computer for hours before it freezes up, and other times it'll happen multiple times in a row during the boot process. While the light goes to a solid on, there are no strange noises from the hard drive, such as grinding, scratching, etc. In fact, when the light stays on the hard drive seems to be completely silent.

Is this most likely the hard drive? This would be my first guess, but I read somewhere that bad memory could cause freeze-ups like this. Any ideas?

I have a sony laptop which is a few years old. It recently developed a problem where the hard drive access light goes to a solid on and then anything after that which involves the hard drive (opening a file, etc.) causes the computer to freeze up. The light will stay on for a few minutes with the computer barely operable, then the light will shut off. At this point, the computer becomes completely frozen. It'll stay like this for a few minutes, then laptop will reboot on its own.

This is starting to happen more frequently. Sometimes I can use the computer for hours before it freezes up, and other times it'll happen multiple times in a row during the boot process. While the light goes to a solid on, there are no strange noises from the hard drive, such as grinding, scratching, etc. In fact, when the light stays on the hard drive seems to be completely silent.

Is this most likely the hard drive? This would be my first guess, but I read somewhere that bad memory could cause freeze-ups like this. Any ideas?

Yes it's the HDD, I just replaced mine for that reason and its running excellent.But mine froze when I tried to log on to windows.So i had to do the ctrl+alt+delete to switch user names, than do it agian.Before to long it aint going to boot at all.

Another thing I forgot to mention...I am running Windows 7. I did a fresh install with Ubuntu, then another with Windows 7 again and had the same problem with each install of both operating systems.

Yes it's the HDD, I just replaced mine for that reason and its running excellent.But mine froze when I tried to log on to windows.So i had to do the ctrl+alt+delete to switch user names, than do it agian.Before to long it aint going to boot at all.

Alright, thanks! Maybe I'll use this as an excuse to upgrade the hard drive while I'm at it.

Another thing I forgot to mention...I am running Windows 7. I did a fresh install with Ubuntu, then another with Windows 7 again and had the same problem with each install of both operating systems.

Alright, thanks! Maybe I'll use this as an excuse to upgrade the hard drive while I'm at it.

Lol,GL.

Sorry to bring back an old thread, but I finally got around to replacing my hard drive with a WD 500GB drive. Almost immediately after loading windows 7, I noticed that the exact same problem appears again (system freezes, hard drive light constantly on during the freeze). Any thoughts on whether it's more likely that this drive is bad as well or that there's a more serious problem with the laptop?

Back
Top Bottom