Shuttle Media Center Questions, Vid card)

lherring81

Solid State Member
Shuttle Media Center Questions (Vid card)

I am thinkin on building my first pc. I want to start off kinda simple, and want to build a media center. I don't know which shuttle I want but I know I want a SFF, such as a shuttle because I want it to kind of blend into my entertainment center. I want a pretty good video card, at least 128 mb of dedicated RAM. I have heard alot about the All-In-Wonder cards that ATI puts out. I was wondering, I have a regular run of the mill television. If i ran my cable through the shuttle via the video card, and back out throught the s-video output into my tv AV input, would there be any kind of offset display? If not,what if i ran the windows media center to the desktop, would there be any display problems? My TV has a regular 19 inch screen. Its not a moniter. I know some people say it will work and just be a bit blurry as far as running explorer and such on it. i also would like to run some games on it. Nothing too intense, just something like BF1942.

By the way, there are the specs I am thinking of putting into it.

AMD athlon 64 3000
ATI AIW 9600 (i think its 9600) 128 mb RAM
1 gig RAM
unknown hardware
unknown mobo
intergrated audio
wireless internet B/G

Please, if anyone has any suggestions please let me know, like i said, this is going to be my first project and I do not want to be scared off from it. I bought a book and am still reading it on how to built a pc.

Thanks for any information.

HEY, THIS IS MY FIRST POST!!!!!

welcome to cf and i would get a x800XT AIW. I heard that card is very good. It is A LOT better than the 9600.

The 800 is better in that it has made the connections through a dongle which makes it easier to hook up too, and the remote set up is different. Other than that and the price there really isn't that much difference. I personnally like the shuttle configuration as it is really a very stable board.
I use the older AK39A and my son has the AK37ultra with an ATI-AIW 9000 and media center2003 It works great with his 19" PC monitor. Very little distortion with viewing TV and with all his game consols connected with A/B switch he plays them all. It was his first build too and has had no problems with it. The remote also is configured to actually work the computer also so he sits back and does all his burning by remote to impress his friends.
All in all what you have figured will do you just fine.

welcome to the forum!

I guess what I really want to know is, how is it going to look on my TV. I do not want to spend alot of money on a HD LCD tv that would cost more than the pc itself. I want to simply use my regular tv in my room. I live the Tivo Like abilities that WMC offers plus the ability to surf the net while relaxing on my bed. What you guys think about it being hooked up to a tv, not a moniter.

Back
Top Bottom