Shut down or sleep?

starik

Baseband Member
Which is best for the computer when you're not using it? Shut down, sleep, or leaving it on?

The question you ask has been around for many years. And, for many years people have been arguing over which is best.

Personally I prefer sleep mode. The machine shuts down in about 10 seconds, and awakens to full use in about 6 seconds. I do a warm boot every 3 or 4 days, or when I happen to think about it.

Others like to shut down completely, and re-boot each time because they like the fact that the DDR3 is flushed each time.

I think there are much fewer people who leave their machines on all the time. That was more popular when computers took 90 seconds or more to boot. With so many folks using solid state drives these days, the boot process is so fast, those people are no longer leaving their machines on all the time.

I like to leave mine on all the time. I have a virus scan, backup and defragmentation that is scheduled to run every night.

Sleep for me. Only restarts when the power goes out or Windows installs updates.

I use sleep mode as well. I restart the computer once in a while to flush the RAM and/or install updates.
But i moslty just use sleep mode.

it really depends on what you have going on, are you downloading huge files and perfer to do that at night(or when ever you sleep 4 me its at night time) and so as to save your bandwidth & CPU speed for day to day activities or rending stuff and you dont have a super render farm

ect.. when im downloading i just move that on my high end labtop and shut down my desktop

to each his own

i do know back before i got my first fast / fast booting computer, that i would leave it on all night now its like 20 seconds from boot-2-login-2-useablity so i dont mind restarting several times a day esp if my os gets buggy from a certain programs/ installing new stuff / updates

"It's A Pleasure 2 boot" "Shall I boot his ass out the door?" - Master Rahl

lol

atm most nights its shut down, noting really going on atm

This is interesting, i always power off, but after looking at the thread i have been doing some research.
Pros and Cons to Sleep:

Pros:
-It uses <5 watts of power (even if your running a 1000w PSU)
-It gives a fast boot (SSD's are pretty much instant)
Cons:
-It can cause a system slow down (just need to shutdown once a week to sort this)

Some questions i can not find answers to:

- Does it degrade the life of the components?
Ram still has power, motherboard has a trickle charge, and psu is still working.
- The annoying flash of sleep, can it be changed to not flash?
Others may be different but my computer is near where i sleep, and its bright.

Some questions i can not find answers to:

- Does it degrade the life of the components?
Ram still has power, motherboard has a trickle charge, and psu is still working.
- The annoying flash of sleep, can it be changed to not flash?
Others may be different but my computer is near where i sleep, and its bright.

I don't think it is damaging the components much, if any.
if it does i'll say you should not care sense you are going to be upgrading the parts sooner or later anyway (or buying a new computer).
at work we still have some computers from 2002 that still works fine. slow... but it works.

To fix the annoying flashing, you just plug out the "power LED" front panel cable from the motherboard.
The LED is also gonna be off while the computer is on, but i'll still say it's worth it.
you don't need an LED to tell if the computer is off or on anyway.

---------- Post added at 11:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 PM ----------

Ohhh, there might be an option in the bios to turn it off.
check the bios out before removing the power LED cable.

Yeah that blinking is annoying. It would be nice if it just turned a dim red or something. I also have my computer in the bedroom. I don't want to unplug it completely because it's useful to remind you if it's in sleep mode or shut down. I think I might put some kind of translucent tape over it to dim it significantly

Back
Top Bottom