shrinking hard drive?

DIG IT?

Solid State Member
Yesterday I had 1gig of memory. Then later last night I got a message saying low memory, I check to see I only have 100mb of free memory left. Didn't download ANYTHING. So I went about deleting everything I didn't need and got up to 500MB Free. I mean this thing had NOTHIGN on it, but it only had 500MB Free. I didn't download ANYTHING that day.

TOday it went from 500MB to 240. I DONT HAVE ANYTHING LEFT TO DELETE.

oh, and this wouldnt post in the right thread for some reason. mod move it etc

apparently he doesn't understand the difference between hard drive space, and memory. It looks like you're running too many processes at once that take up a lot of memory.

I'm not much of a computer buff I must admit.

I mean like ... the availablity to save stuff. Like, it says I have 100mb left. If I save a file to my desktop that is 25MB, I now have 75MB left.

Don't expect me to be able to describe this stuff well technically

Its got to be said, ya not grasping this like mate lol. Seems like your talkin about ya RAM. If you save a file to ya desktop it gets copied to ya harddrive, not ya RAM, so theres no need to worry.

My Computer desktop icon, click on Local Disk, it displays an image saying

Capacity: 3.99 GB
Used: 3.73 GB
Free: 266 GB

DIG IT? said:
My Computer desktop icon, click on Local Disk, it displays an image saying

Capacity: 3.99 GB
Used: 3.73 GB
Free: 266 GB
Buy yourself a new harddrive.

Hard drive, has to be.
Ok you have a 3.99 gig drive when formatted. Since you didn't post what operating system you have, let's assume it's XP. XP when installed will consume 3 to 4 gigs of hard drive space depending on what options are activated. In your case it appears to have been roughly 3 gigs consumed.
If this is the case then here's the answer to the disappearing drive space. Event logs, housekeeping logs, MRU's, updates, hotfixes, patches. Where do you want me to stop? Along with whatever else you have installed.
3.99 gigs for an XP system don't get it. Your rapidly run out of room. As cheap as 80 gig drives are today that would be the rule of thumb.
Running win98se on that would be ok.

Oh and that's NOT 266 gigs left. That's 26.6 MEGS left. You just ran out of room.

Back
Top Bottom