Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 08-10-2011, 03:57 PM   #1
Beta Member
Default Should I upgrade my computer?

I already have another computer in mind so I thought I would post the specs of both and see what people think.

My computer currently has an Intel core 2 duo e8400@ 3.0GHz, 6 gigs or DDR2 RAM, a 1000 watt power supply, an almost full 220 Gig hard drive, sli nvidia geforce gtx 260's, the OS is windows vista 64-bit, and it's all in a big fat Alienware case.

The computer I have in mind has an Intel core I7 2600 processor@ 3.4GHz, 16 gigs of DDR3 SDRAM, a 2 TB hard drive, a blu ray drive, one nvidia geforce gtx 560 ti, a windows 7 64-bit OS, a 750 watt power supply, built in wireless and room for another graphics card in a gateway. the price is $1399CAD

Thanks for your input.

johno111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:06 PM   #2
Baseband Member
Default Re: Should I upgrade my computer?

That would be an adequate upgrade! However, I do have a few suggestions. I would grab a GTX570 for $90 more, and this is why: 336 cuda cores vs. 488. You effectively gain more than a third of the processing cores, and this card will last you for a good two or 3 years for high quality imagery.

You mention that there is room for a second GFX card.. I would then bump the PSU to 850 Watt with 80 plus Gold rating for maximum efficiency with optimal wattage for dual cards.

Otherwise, everything else is a go from my point of view.
BassAddict is offline   Reply With Quote