Should I upgrade?

i5's in laptops in aren't quad core, they are just dual cores with 4 threads and hyperthreading.

There are actually some laptop non HT ready quad i5's. They at least saw light in late 2015 in the fifth Core i5 generation.

---------- Post added at 07:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:36 AM ----------

Interesting that they are i5s. My i3 is dual core with HTT but it's a desktop though.

Wonder why Intel don't call them i3s.

This puzzles me too in laptops; dual core HT i5 and even dual core HT i7's !!!

Probably the architecture or something else is different.

There are actually some laptop non HT ready quad i5's. They at least saw light in late 2015 in the fifth Core i5 generation.

---------- Post added at 07:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:36 AM ----------

This puzzles me too in laptops; dual core HT i5 and even dual core HT i7's !!!

Probably the architecture or something else is different.

When you order the laptop custom, You get what you want! If i open up the system it shows what it has. I have seen dual-core and quad core i5's and i7's. Also 8 core and someone told me about a 12 core i7 once. I have not seen it, but was told..scuttlebutt, But Laptops can have quad cores for sure. You get what you pay for. Want the big stuff, get out the wallet and pay the green stamps for it.:lol:

I used to work at a custom auto shop and we had a sign on the counter that said:

Speed Cost Money... How Fast Do You Want To Go?

So for a custom job, especially with good parts as Dan said, Get your checkbook out and be sure you have money in the bank. :cool:

By the way Dan, reason you did not see those CPUs are that they are super expensive. Look 'em up on Newegg.

Sit down first. :rolleyes:

I believe mobile Core i5's started with the sixth generation. Hold on, I'll find the exact dates...

Done! There is a total of five mobile Core i5 CPU's and here's the reliable source from Intel itself (scroll down to performance):
Intel® Product Specification Comparison

I was sure of it when I first said it earlier and it indeed came out in late 2015 as I said, but not entirely correct since I made a mistake and said it was in the fifth generation while it actually was in the sixth.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom