Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-21-2017, 04:02 PM   #11
BSOD

Default Re: Should I upgrade?

Depending on your personal needs and desires you need to upgrade when you need to upgrade.
I need to upgrade every couple of years to stay current for my production work flow so I can spend less time at the computer and more time doing other tasks. (photographing, filming, playing and creating music per-production)
I also need to upgrade so the other people in the family will have decent equipment. When I upgrade, I make a new system for myself and my wife makes a copy of it for herself and we each pass our old machines to our 2 kids.

Old 05-21-2017, 05:38 PM   #12
Fully Optimized

So you say i should have got a new computer when My Wifey did??? I think i got shortchanged!!! That means i am way overdue!

Old 05-21-2017, 06:26 PM   #13
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallaby Dan View Post
So you say i should have got a new computer when My Wifey did??? I think i got shortchanged!!! That means i am way overdue!
Your wife already allowed you to buy a new case. You need to learn your place, pal.
Old 05-21-2017, 06:28 PM   #14
Fully Optimized

I paid out 1000.00 for her asus with i5 and 8 gigs of ram. I am using a 12 year old motherboard. What is right about this picture???
Old 05-21-2017, 07:07 PM   #15
Golden Master

Seriously Dan? I built my i5 system for less than $600 and that's with very good components. That's with $155 in savings waiting for the deals. I took a year to build it.

I built mine for durability (business grade stuff) and is now 5-6 years old. Still going strong. Mine's a Gigabyte B75 board with i5-3570 and 2x4g memory.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:12 PM   #16
Fully Optimized

Hers is a laptop. I5 quad core with 8 gigs ram a ssd 500gb. And touch screen. Really good computer and really fast. I am thinking of something along those lines. Only a tower. I can build a good tower for around 5-600 bucks too. But, I can't build a laptop like that. Wish I could....sucks....
Old 05-21-2017, 09:22 PM   #17
Golden Master

I didn't realize it could be a laptop. Nope, can't build one of them.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:31 PM   #18
The Candyman

Nope can't do it, but at least we consumer's have a big variety of lappy's to choose from.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:36 AM   #19
Fully Optimized

Yeah, but i don't like laptops. If something goes bad you pretty much have to trash it and get a new one. With a tower i can replace or fix components. I kept that old motherboard running with 4 different processors, a different pcu fan one new dvd burner. different power supply 2 Different motherboards and I had to get two new sticks of ram. One went bad and i bought in pairs. two different Hard Drives. I have one newer and one brand new hd for this computer and i still have one of the old 80 gig ide hd that still works but has been wiped clean. The board i have now is not included in the above numbers. My next system will be way newer!! Even with the issues i have had over the last 12 years, I still have the basic same computer minus windows xp. I still have my back up discs along with the windows xp disc and have all three service packs on disc as well. Never know, I may just need them again down the road.
Old 05-22-2017, 12:16 PM   #20
Fully Optimized

A quad i5 laptop? That must be something expensive. Even some i7's come dual core on laptops so you can imagine how special a core i5 is on one.

Tags
cpu, motherboard, upgrade

« Display | Colors?? »