Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-20-2017, 03:47 PM   #1
In Runtime
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 166
Default Should I upgrade?

The setup I currently use is:

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P (Sata II Connections, yeah I know right)
120GB SSD SATA III
ASUS GTX 680 Video Card
8GB DDR3 RAM

Two Monitors

Dell U2515H 2560x1440
and another 1920x1080


Applications I use:

Office 365 - Outlook most of the time
Adobe Master Collection - Illustrator etc.
Google Chrome - sometimes lots of tabs
Spotify


Having upgraded to SSD a few years ago there has been a significant performance improvement as you might expect.
But I do notice a slowness about the system even when using Facebook on Google Chrome...

The motherboard and CPU are the only two components that were part of the original build when I built the system back in 2010.


Should I upgrade the CPU and motherboard?
__________________

__________________
andy1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 04:10 PM   #2
Fully Optimized
 
AMD_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Argentina
Posts: 1,641
Default Re: Should I upgrade?

If you want to keep your RAM, remember you have DDR3, so your options are limited. You can either get an FX (not recommended), or a Haswell, which could be a viable option.

You should check your RAM usage. If you are using it all, your system can get very slow, and has nothing to do with your CPU. Try using the PC normally and monitoring the RAM and CPU usage with the task manager. You can know if something is overloaded, and then decide what to upgrade.

Edit: Your CPU is good for your needs.
__________________

__________________
AMD_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 04:12 PM   #3
In Runtime
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 166
Default Re: Should I upgrade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMD_man View Post
If you want to keep your RAM, remember you have DDR3, so your options are limited. You can either get an FX (not recommended), or a Haswell, which could be a viable option.

You should check your RAM usage. If you are using it all, your system can get very slow, and has nothing to do with your CPU. Try using the PC normally and monitoring the RAM and CPU usage with the task manager. You can know if something is overloaded, and then decide what to upgrade.

Edit: Your CPU is good for your needs.
Thanks for the response.

It is definitely the CPU that is struggling slightly at times. RAM usage is generally okay.

I'd probably change the RAM.

Any thoughts on the new AMD Ryzen?
__________________
andy1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 04:17 PM   #4
Fully Optimized
 
AMD_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Argentina
Posts: 1,641
Default Re: Should I upgrade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy1027 View Post
Thanks for the response.

It is definitely the CPU that is struggling slightly at times. RAM usage is generally okay.

I'd probably change the RAM.

Any thoughts on the new AMD Ryzen?
The CPU struggles with Chrome?

If I were you I wouldn't get a Ryzen. You would probably be better of with an I3-7100, or even a Pentium. Ryzen is more Gaming and content creation oriented.
__________________
AMD_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 04:20 PM   #5
In Runtime
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 166
Default Re: Should I upgrade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMD_man View Post
The CPU struggles with Chrome?

If I were you I wouldn't get a Ryzen. You would probably be better of with an I3-7100, or even a Pentium. Ryzen is more Gaming and content creation oriented.
But like I said I use Adobe Master Collection.
__________________
andy1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 04:21 PM   #6
Fully Optimized
 
AMD_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Argentina
Posts: 1,641
Default Re: Should I upgrade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy1027 View Post
But like I said I use Adobe Master Collection.
Sorry I missed that. I read Chrome and Office and thought it was an office computer. What's your budget?
__________________
AMD_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 08:42 PM   #7
Golden Master
 
Celery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 5,331
Default Re: Should I upgrade?

That's a pretty poor quad core CPU. I'd go Intel.

In comparison:

AMD Phenom II X4 - CS=3.4 Ghz - Passmark=4219

My PCs:

Intel i3-2105 dual core - CS=3.1 Ghz - Passmark=3732

Intel i5-3570 quad core - CS=3.4 Ghz - Passmark=7024

I used to an AMD guy til I tried a Celeron for a budget build (before I got the i3). I was impressed with this $50 CPU.

Intel Celeron G540 dual core - CS=2.5 Ghz - Passmark=2205
__________________
I came on a Celeron and now my PC has Ryzen!
Celery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 02:29 AM   #8
Fully Optimized
 
Smart_Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Saudi Arabia
Posts: 3,789
Default Re: Should I upgrade?

Since you'll have to format if you upgrade the mobo and CPU anyway, I suggest clean formatting you current system. I feel something went wrong with the OS. Any quad core should be good for such normal uses. That's unless you use Adobe professionally and want to take advantage of every single second then an upgrade is a good idea.
__________________
My main rig (click here).
Smart_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 07:57 AM   #9
Golden Master
 
BK_123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 7,557
Default Re: Should I upgrade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart_Guy View Post
Since you'll have to format if you upgrade the mobo and CPU anyway, I suggest clean formatting you current system. I feel something went wrong with the OS. Any quad core should be good for such normal uses. That's unless you use Adobe professionally and want to take advantage of every single second then an upgrade is a good idea.
If he uses Windows 10 and has linked his PC to his Microsoft account, he should be able to switch motherboard and cpu and then run Win10's troubleshooter for activation.

Reactivating Windows 10 after a hardware change
__________________
BK_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 11:01 AM   #10
Fully Optimized
 
Smart_Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Saudi Arabia
Posts: 3,789
Default Re: Should I upgrade?

I'm having in mind the drivers not the activation problem. In all comps I replaced the mobo, let alone with the CPU, Windows got screwed and typically had BSOD. They are not that many comps, but all did.
__________________

__________________
My main rig (click here).
Smart_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cpu, motherboard, upgrade

« Display | Colors?? »
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0