Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 04-05-2015, 11:06 AM   #11
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Should I upgrade ?

An ssd would speed up boot and program loading times but wouldn't do much else for game playing. Upgrading to 64-bit would allow the ability to use the extra RAM but would require re-installation of all software. Some games might take advantage of the extra RAM, some won't.

strollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 05:16 AM   #12
Fully Optimized

An SSD could be transferred and used again if you built/bought a new PC at a later date, so could be a worthwhile investment.

An SSD would speed up boot times, programs would open more quickly etc, but if you want to play games more modern than GTA San Andreas I'd recommend a new PC.

I don't see machines with 5GB RAM very often, or such a combination of hard drives, looks like the previous owner did a couple of upgrades as and when required!

If you have a spare licence key sitting around for a 64 bit operating system then install it, but I wouldn't bother going out to buy a new OS for it!

i5 4210M || 500GB Samsung EVO 850 SSD || GeForce 825M || 16GB DDR3 RAM || Windows 10 x64
joedaman633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 05:34 AM   #13
Baseband Member

I put in the other hard drives win 7 on one and linux mint on the other I get all right fps in video games, but I don't play much newer ones
Inmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:16 AM   #14
Fully Optimized

If you seriously want to move into PC gaming you'll need a more powerful PC. I'd personally stay on the older PC if it's working fine and you can do what you want to do with it. If you start playing more graphically intensive games then realistically you'll need new hardware, in this case I wouldn't bother fitting a new graphics card etc, due to the age of the current hardware you'd be better off buying a new PC.

i5 4210M || 500GB Samsung EVO 850 SSD || GeForce 825M || 16GB DDR3 RAM || Windows 10 x64
joedaman633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:17 AM   #15
Fully Optimized

Before assuming anything, what games are you planning to play on the computer? A new build might not cost as much as you think, for what you're trying to play. If you were trying to keep up with the latest games, the PC would be significantly more (and would need to be upgraded, as needed).

Personally, I've moved away from PC gaming minus World of Warcraft. It wasn't the easiest transition I've ever done, but it opened new doors for me. Now I can buy a game, and not have to think -- "what settings can I play this on?". I simply pop in the disc (or download the digital copy), and play. :-)
Bahawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:39 AM   #16
Baseband Member

Well atm I play counterstrike s and go ,minecraft,killing floor,stranded deep. Minecraft I like 60 to 80 fps and cs is bout 50 to 70[max settings ] But I would like to play games again like arma oa , dayz sa & mod , now I haven't tested them due to my internet download speed is like "160kb/s". personally I am actually moving more to pc gaming .
Old 04-08-2015, 10:45 AM   #17
Fully Optimized

If you were to buy a new PC, what is your budget?
Old 04-08-2015, 11:20 AM   #18
Baseband Member

Ah I'd say 1500 to 2000
Old 04-08-2015, 11:35 AM   #19
Fully Optimized

Oh, wow! That's hardly a shoestring budget, and would put together an amazing PC for gaming. Are you willing and able to build a PC? If so, I'd be happy to help by putting together a list of suggested parts.

Thanks!
Old 04-08-2015, 11:43 AM   #20
Baseband Member

I am willing and able ! That would be great if you could .

Tags
hardware help, upgrades