Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-14-2009, 03:52 PM   #11
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
 
Teny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: United States
Posts: 5,957
Default Re: Should I? or Shouldnt I?

isnt the 9800GT only slightly better than the 8800GT?
If thats so, isnt it worth the extra $20 to get another 8800GT to SLI?

Cant SLI an 8800GT with an 9800GT unless you flash the BIOS IIRC.
__________________

__________________
Desktop -Cooler Master NV690/AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE/MSI 880G-E45 Motherboard/2 x 2GB DDR3 G.Skill Ripjaws X/Sapphire HD 5870 1GB GDDR5/CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX/Seagate 7200.12 500GB (OS), Samsung F3 1TB (Storage)/Sony DVD Burner/Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Teny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 04:04 PM   #12
Golden Master
 
worshipme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,603
Default Re: Should I? or Shouldnt I?

Quote:
Yeah, I know. Thats whats holding me back.
Sorry for just reformulating your original post and not answering your question at all.

I like to buy and sell a lot, I don't know if you're the same but if you're good at it, and you do it at just the right time, you can upgrade for pretty much $0 if you are OK with using eBay.
For example, when the HD 4850 came out, they were the same price as the 8800GT, I quickly put my 8800GT on eBay and bought a HD 4850 from there as well. I drew even and spent nothing yet I got an upgrade. If I were you, I wouldn't go SLi. But rather than spending another $100 on an 8800GT, I'd cash in on the one you've got when the HD 4770 comes out (They should be selling for the same price) and then buy a 4770 as soon as possible. There, you've upgraded for nothing. It's not going to be as big as 8800GT SLi, but at least you'll still be free to choose whichever chipset you want.

You may not want to take risks though...
__________________

__________________
AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 4.0GHz + TU120E lapped - MSI 770-CD45 AM3 - 2x2GB OCZ DDR3 1333MHz - Sapphire HD 4870 - Samsung Spinpoint 500GB 7200RPM 16MB cache HDD - Tagan TG600-BZ Piperock - (Currently open test bed) - Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit.
worshipme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 04:13 PM   #13
Fully Optimized
 
wol-va-rine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,104
Default Re: Should I? or Shouldnt I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teny View Post
I havent posted a thread of what I should get in awhile.

I was on newegg and saw an 8800GT in stock for $114, and an retention bracket for $9 (to be used with my CM HSF), and maybe another 2GB of ram. Problem is that I dont know if I should get it.

I want to try the AMD AM3 CPUs along with the DDR3 ram, and money doesnt come easy for me, so it would either save for an new build, or get new parts that might be outdated pretty soon.

Problem that is holding me back is the XFX board, a lot of peoples board have already died, and theres not much selection for LGA775 boards out anymore. So if this boards dies, then I would need to get another SLI board, or have an extra 8800GT. If I get the board, then I wont be able to get the graphics because $200 is a lot to spend in a month.
LGA775 boards will be around for a while, not everyone needs the performance boost from LGA1366, most people (like me) would be fine just sticking with what they have now (775)...

yes, Newegg only has two 600 series nforce boards for Intel cpus, but they have 20+ 700 series boards for Intel cpus that should be dropping in price as LGA1366 starts to convert people over...
__________________
MY INTARDNET BEAST ■ Antec 300 ■ Q6600 B3, 2.8GHz @ 1.325v ■ MSI X48C Platinum ■ Kingwin XT-1264 ■ Visiontek HD 4870 512MB ■ 4x1GB Transcend aXeRam DDR3-1800 @ 1400MHz ■ WD Raptor (160GB) ■ Western Digital (250GB) ■ Samsung (640GB) ■ Seagate (500GB) ■ WD Caviar Green (1TB) ■ OCZ ProXStream 1kw ■ Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum ■ JVC HA RX900 ■

ME ■ I am bald and my head is lumpy...fear me ■
wol-va-rine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 04:16 PM   #14
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 33
Default Re: Should I? or Shouldnt I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by celegorm View Post
for ten bucks more you can get a much better video card Turns out ten bucks cheaper after MIR: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130435

Otherwise any of these would be good cards too http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130435
$20 more and ya get a much better card!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814161244
imager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 04:19 PM   #15
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
 
Teny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: United States
Posts: 5,957
Default Re: Should I? or Shouldnt I?

how much do you think I should try and sell my 8800GT for?
__________________
Desktop -Cooler Master NV690/AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE/MSI 880G-E45 Motherboard/2 x 2GB DDR3 G.Skill Ripjaws X/Sapphire HD 5870 1GB GDDR5/CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX/Seagate 7200.12 500GB (OS), Samsung F3 1TB (Storage)/Sony DVD Burner/Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Teny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 05:37 PM   #16
Fully Optimized
 
Holysky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,692
Default Re: Should I? or Shouldnt I?

115 dollar 4850 FTW

__________________
Let's get this party started, I'm sick of begging you You make me dead inside which I give to you
Let's get this party started, You make me feel inside I want to be the one to make myself sane
Holysky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 05:42 PM   #17
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
 
Teny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: United States
Posts: 5,957
Default Re: Should I? or Shouldnt I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holysky View Post
115 dollar 4850 FTW

gotta sell my 8800GT first.
__________________

__________________
Desktop -Cooler Master NV690/AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE/MSI 880G-E45 Motherboard/2 x 2GB DDR3 G.Skill Ripjaws X/Sapphire HD 5870 1GB GDDR5/CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX/Seagate 7200.12 500GB (OS), Samsung F3 1TB (Storage)/Sony DVD Burner/Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Teny is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0