Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-14-2009, 01:11 PM   #1
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
 
Teny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: United States
Posts: 5,957
Default Should I? or Shouldnt I?

I havent posted a thread of what I should get in awhile.

I was on newegg and saw an 8800GT in stock for $114, and an retention bracket for $9 (to be used with my CM HSF), and maybe another 2GB of ram. Problem is that I dont know if I should get it.

I want to try the AMD AM3 CPUs along with the DDR3 ram, and money doesnt come easy for me, so it would either save for an new build, or get new parts that might be outdated pretty soon.

Problem that is holding me back is the XFX board, a lot of peoples board have already died, and theres not much selection for LGA775 boards out anymore. So if this boards dies, then I would need to get another SLI board, or have an extra 8800GT. If I get the board, then I wont be able to get the graphics because $200 is a lot to spend in a month.
__________________

__________________
Desktop -Cooler Master NV690/AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE/MSI 880G-E45 Motherboard/2 x 2GB DDR3 G.Skill Ripjaws X/Sapphire HD 5870 1GB GDDR5/CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX/Seagate 7200.12 500GB (OS), Samsung F3 1TB (Storage)/Sony DVD Burner/Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Teny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:16 PM   #2
Fully Optimized
 
rohan23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,087
Default Re: Should I? or Shouldnt I?

I don't really see the need for DDR3 RAM yet unless you're going to be hardcore overclocking, or benchmarking. For gaming purposes, another card would be really helpful to you. If you're running a 64-bit OS, go ahead with the RAM. I would go towards the card. Have you searched through ebay and microcenter for another card?
__________________

__________________
Macook 13.3

2.13Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo-2GB DDR2 800 Mhz-500GB Western Digital Caviar Blue- Nvidia 9400M
rohan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:19 PM   #3
Fully Optimized
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: England
Posts: 3,390
Default Re: Should I? or Shouldnt I?

I'm willing to try the new AM3 boards when they make a proper one.

I mean - DDR3 boards with 4 Memory slots???

The board makers for Intel on the other hand have it right - 6 slots for DDR3.
__________________
Lenovo ThinkPad T410 - i7 620M - 8GB RAM - Crucial M4 120GB SSD - 250GB 2nd drive - Intel HD 3000 GPU - 1440x900 - Windows 7/8
REMENIZ Computers
Remeniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:21 PM   #4
Fully Optimized
 
Holysky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,692
Default Re: Should I? or Shouldnt I?

just get a single graphics card ATI and Nvidia just had price cuts

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...on%20HD%204870

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...on%20HD%204850

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ce%209800%20GT

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...09800%20GTX%2b

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...20200%20Series
__________________
Let's get this party started, I'm sick of begging you You make me dead inside which I give to you
Let's get this party started, You make me feel inside I want to be the one to make myself sane
Holysky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 02:11 PM   #5
Fully Optimized
 
LambOfGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,783
Send a message via MSN to LambOfGod
Default Re: Should I? or Shouldnt I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remeniz View Post
I'm willing to try the new AM3 boards when they make a proper one.

I mean - DDR3 boards with 4 Memory slots???

The board makers for Intel on the other hand have it right - 6 slots for DDR3.
AM3 does not support triple channel, just dual channel DDR3, thats why




Teny, i would sell your 8800 GT and go for a more powerful single card solution..
__________________
LambOfGod- Q6600 g0 @ 3.06 Ghz * DFI LANPARTY DK X48-T2RS * Antec 1200 * Rosewill RP550 PSU * EVGA 8800 GTX Superclocked *WD 74GB Raptor * 2 X Seagate 1TB 7200.11 (RAID 1) * 4 GB DDR2 1022 GSKILL 5-5-5-13 * Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit/Windows XP 64 Bit
LambOfGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 02:25 PM   #6
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
 
Teny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: United States
Posts: 5,957
Default Re: Should I? or Shouldnt I?

Im not going to build the AM3 board right away, most likely building one this fall or later.

Right now, my rig works fine for all my needs, but I want to future proof for a little longer or just wait and upgrade to a completely new build when I need to. As I said, money is hard for me to come buy, so its this way or the other way.

I would sell my 8800GT, but I couldnt find anybody interested in it, and when I do, they are usually low-balling me to the point where I dont think its worth selling. I dont trust online much either because of previous experiences.

Getting another single card is kind of pointless since the 8800GT is not that far behind, or the SLI beats it within the price range of $150 unless someone actually did buy my card.
__________________
Desktop -Cooler Master NV690/AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE/MSI 880G-E45 Motherboard/2 x 2GB DDR3 G.Skill Ripjaws X/Sapphire HD 5870 1GB GDDR5/CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX/Seagate 7200.12 500GB (OS), Samsung F3 1TB (Storage)/Sony DVD Burner/Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Teny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 02:37 PM   #7
Site Team
 
celegorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,713
Send a message via AIM to celegorm
Default Re: Should I? or Shouldnt I?

for ten bucks more you can get a much better video card Turns out ten bucks cheaper after MIR: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130435

Otherwise any of these would be good cards too http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130435
__________________
"as a fanboy i refuse to admit it and will pull countless things out of my butt to disprove it"

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 02:40 PM   #8
Golden Master
 
worshipme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,603
Default Re: Should I? or Shouldnt I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teny View Post
I havent posted a thread of what I should get in awhile.

I was on newegg and saw an 8800GT in stock for $114, and an retention bracket for $9 (to be used with my CM HSF), and maybe another 2GB of ram. Problem is that I dont know if I should get it.

I want to try the AMD AM3 CPUs along with the DDR3 ram, and money doesnt come easy for me, so it would either save for an new build, or get new parts that might be outdated pretty soon.

Problem that is holding me back is the XFX board, a lot of peoples board have already died, and theres not much selection for LGA775 boards out anymore. So if this boards dies, then I would need to get another SLI board, or have an extra 8800GT. If I get the board, then I wont be able to get the graphics because $200 is a lot to spend in a month.
I wouldn't spend any money on LGA 775, there's not going to be another upgrade path for it, so keep your motherboard and go with another 8800GT if you really need it. Bear in mind that this will limit you to the Nvidia chipsets when you upgrade.
Quote:
I would sell my 8800GT, but I couldnt find anybody interested in it, and when I do, they are usually low-balling me to the point where I dont think its worth selling. I dont trust online much either because of previous experiences.
eBay. Nobody's going to give you more money for it elsewhere.
Quote:
I was on newegg and saw an 8800GT in stock for $114
Quote:
for ten bucks more you can get a much better video card Turns out ten bucks cheaper after MIR: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130435
8800GT = 9800GT 9800GTX+ = GTS 250
__________________
AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 4.0GHz + TU120E lapped - MSI 770-CD45 AM3 - 2x2GB OCZ DDR3 1333MHz - Sapphire HD 4870 - Samsung Spinpoint 500GB 7200RPM 16MB cache HDD - Tagan TG600-BZ Piperock - (Currently open test bed) - Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit.
worshipme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 02:43 PM   #9
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
 
Teny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: United States
Posts: 5,957
Default Re: Should I? or Shouldnt I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by worshipme View Post
I wouldn't spend any money on LGA 775, there's not going to be another upgrade path for it, so keep your motherboard and go with another 8800GT if you really need it. Bear in mind that this will limit you to the Nvidia chipsets when you upgrade.
Yeah, I know. Thats whats holding me back.
__________________
Desktop -Cooler Master NV690/AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE/MSI 880G-E45 Motherboard/2 x 2GB DDR3 G.Skill Ripjaws X/Sapphire HD 5870 1GB GDDR5/CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX/Seagate 7200.12 500GB (OS), Samsung F3 1TB (Storage)/Sony DVD Burner/Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Teny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 02:44 PM   #10
Fully Optimized
 
Holysky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,692
Default Re: Should I? or Shouldnt I?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814187030 can't u sli an 8800gt and a 9800gt? only 95 dollars now
__________________

__________________
Let's get this party started, I'm sick of begging you You make me dead inside which I give to you
Let's get this party started, You make me feel inside I want to be the one to make myself sane
Holysky is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0