should i leave comp in sleep mode ?

Electrocuted

Solid State Member
Does it hurt the hard drive to shut computer off and on once a day ?
or should i leave it in sleep mode and never turn it off?
i dont like the cpu fan blowing all the time-it runs the same speed in sleep mode.
is there a way to change the speed of it ?

IMO, HDD usage should be planned for like a consumable anyway; the effect of switching off your machine at this frequency (on and off, once a day) is very difficult to say because it is still within what most consider as normal use.

don't worry about that. you can turn it on and off as you want.
i personaly set it to sleep when i don't use it. that way i safe time when i want to use it again.
it takes a little more power in sleep mode rather then just turn it off, but if i did that i would not turn it off before i go to sleep or are away from home more then 2 hours. now i set it to sleep when i walk the dog, make lunch and other things. i have a powersafing strip that shutsdown my speakers, my 2 monitors and my G19 keyboard when the computer goes to sleep.

if you are gonna do the same thing as me i will advise you to sometimes just restart it. it's not a server and therefore background programs and services needs to be restarted once in a while. i do that once every 2 weeks. works perfect for me.

Back
Top Bottom