Should I go to windows 7?

So I got it installed and so far its been iffy, it blue screened right after I installed firefox and opened it, then it blue screened twice when I was in Teamspeak trying to get that to work, and once on start-up... i didnt have much time to really mess with it though, bf2 was up and running fine for the little time I was on it... Ill try n get the bugs worked out, I do like the aesthetics of it, and It does run fast. I guess I'll mess with it more when I get home.

if it ain't broke, don't fix it. ;)

I should have taken that to heart bc I decided to go back to xp and I am having the worst time with it...it keeps BSODing after it copies the files reboots and when windows starts and begins installing (about 10 seconds after it starts) I have tried every thing... using 2different cds 1 of which I just used 3 days ago and worked fine... full formats quick formats... tried installing on both my hdds... literally tried to install about 15 times with the same result... I've tried using both my optical drives to install... and nothing... any ideas?

Well the RAM thing didnt work, but I cleared my CMOS and what do you know it worked... so I spent 2 days and lost all my saved files and thats all it was... I really hate computers lol, but I would rather it happen to me so now if I run into the same problem working on someone elses computer I wont screw it up lol... thanks for the help though, if you wouldn't have suggested the ram I probably wouldnt think to try the cmos

Heh, I wonder the same, but I think it comes more to personal opinion. I'm also still on Win XP and wonder how Windows 7 is compare to XP. I guess it's just about trying it and finding out.

You could buy Vista with a free Win 7 upgrade (when it come out.) I'm seeing that a lot these days.

I ran Win 7 for a while and really like it. Worked well with every game that I installed on it. But I paid for Vista Ultimate 64 so that's what is installed and running on my current machine. So far Vista is working well also. I'm still running XP pro on my old 3 Ghz single core.

One thing that I like to do to simplify re-installing the operating system is to use a second hard disk for my data. I keep a folder on it with the drivers and software I need to install everything I need if I want to wipe the C: drive and start over. In fact, I have two folders for drivers on my new machine. One for Vista 64 and one for Win 7.

Anyway, I hope you get your system squared away!

One thing that I like to do to simplify re-installing the operating system is to use a second hard disk for my data. I keep a folder on it with the drivers and software I need to install everything I need if I want to wipe the C: drive and start over. In fact, I have two folders for drivers on my new machine. One for Vista 64 and one for Win 7.

I do the same, but I thought my one HDD might be going bad so I tried on my storage drive that I have all my files on so I figured id bite the bullet and reformat and try on that one... I knew I was gunna lose my stuff, Its basically pictures that I have most of on disk the only thing that will take me a while are all the movies and music I had, but luckily one of my friends took alot of them on his external drive so I have a little backup with him haha... its all good now, running fine

I'm still running XP pro on my old 3 Ghz single core.

I've got W7 up and running on an old P4 system I upgraded to sell. It's a socket 478 with 2 gigs of memory and a 40GB HDD. It's actually working pretty darn smooth. Granted, I never had XP on it to compare, but I think I might keep this system for a little while. Who knows. Maybe make it into a streaming box so I don't have to keep my power hunger main rig on all the time while downloading stuff.

You can just use different partitions, as well. That's the cheapest way to go if you can't get a second hard drive, or if your main HDD is so big that it's pointless to get another. I have 3 OSs on my main drive (750GB drive) and one partition for documents. Then I have a second drive for movies and games and such (1TB drive). And then I have an identical 750GB drive as my backup drive. So I've got pretty much all bases covered if something were to fail :p. The driver idea is a good suggestion also, but just remember to keep them up to date (such as vid. card drivers, etc.).

Back
Top Bottom