Should I go with DDR2 800?

the stability issues aren't with the actual speed of the RAM, it's in the data transfer between the RAM and cpu, it's the very definition of bottlenecking, it's akin to having a stick of 800mhz RAM and a stick of 667mhz RAM running together at the same time, the 800mhz RAM will only run at 667mhz, the RAM speed is limited by it's slowest component, the data transfer between the cpu and RAM works on the same principal...

and from what i have read the instabilities are sometimes multiplied when overclocking and not running a FSB:RAM ratio of 1:1 as you are putting stress on the northbridge by overclocking the CPU and it then also has to translate the data flow from the CPU to the RAM this can lead to you not being able to overclock as far as the CPU can go

That makes more sense muz.

From what I have read though, it seems it would be more desirable to have a higher data flow though the memory for higher performance. I haven't read of any instabilities in tests involving DDR2 1200.

yes but you can have that higher data flow by not running FSB:RAM 1:1 but the northbridge has to translate the data flow from the CPU to the ram mainly this only increases the mobo temp by a few degrees which can increase the whole systems temp
also the memory timings cant be run and this has an impact on performance as well and so it comes down to the age old debate of memory timings vs memory clock speed

DD2 1066mhz RAM will be better and more valuable than the DDR2 800.

Huge different in the cloack speed but a very little difference in the price.

Cheers!

if guy A is driving a porsche and guy B is driving an old beat up Datsun B210, and the speed limit is 25mph, and they both drive the speed limit and have the same starting point and destination, who will get there faster...?

if either of them speeds they run the risk of getting a ticket...

so...

porsche = DDR2 1066
datsun = DDR2 667
speed limit = FSB
ticket = instability

Wolvarine I would rep you for that great explanation but I can't.

thanks Joga...

I had to throw the Datsun B210 in there because I used to own one, I called it my Flintstones mobile, I could see the road through all the holes in my floor board, scary stuff then, but funny now...

:D

Back
Top Bottom