Should I go with DDR2 800?

Infrared1

Baseband Member
So I was on Newegg, ready to buy a modified version of Worshipme's $1500 Build as my first Build, including his suggested memory which is DDR2 800. But a friend told me that since the Mobo supports DDR2 1200 I should go with a higher memory or else it might be bottlenecking my performance.

Is this true? Should I go with a higher memory type such as DDR2 1066 or even the maximum the Mobo I chose will take DDR2 1200?

This is the Mobo I'm using.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131219

This would probablly be my choice if I go with a higher memory type.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220314

i would just go with the 1066mhz.

i agree. 1066 is pretty much the mid, its a perfect price to performance ratio. anything above is too expensive atm. ive got Crucial Ballistix Tracer 1066 with the LED's and couldn't be happier with it... its super fast, overclocks extremely easy, oh and the LED's look freakin awesome. :p

LED's eh? I'll have to check that out :)

But yeah, I'll probablly get the 1066 instead, and I'll look into that ram you have.

So you won't be overclocking?

I'll explain, the E8400 uses the 1333MHz FSB (quad pumped 333MHz). 333MHz FSB with 1:1 ratio = DDR 667. Increasing the ratio will not bring higher bandwidth or performance because of the FSB bottleneck.

umm, can you explain or show a link that explains this kind of stuff for AMDs?

LED's eh? I'll have to check that out :)

But yeah, I'll probablly get the 1066 instead, and I'll look into that ram you have.

actually, like worshipme said, since it's an Intel build so it will be limited by the motherboard's rated FSB, you could even go with DDR2 5300 (667mhz) and you will see the same performance that you will with the 800mhz or even 1066mhz RAM because the FSB is the limiter (the bottleneck)...

I would just get what's cheapest...

Oh. I might be overclocking a little, though I never have had any expierence with it. From what I've read it's not too hard.

So if I overclocked the 8400, I would get more performance out of the 1066?

Edit: And here I thought I had computers mostly figured out and it turns out I don't even know the tip of the iceburg :(

Oh. I might be overclocking a little, though I never have had any expierence with it. From what I've read it's not too hard.

So if I overclocked the 8400, I would get more performance out of the 1066?

definitely not, to fully utilize the speed of 1066 RAM you would need a motherboard that would support a 2133 FSB, I don't believe that motherboard has been created yet...

Back
Top Bottom