Should I get an SSD?

OhSnapWord

Fully Optimized
I'm bouncing around the idea of getting an SSD for my system. I plan on using it as my boot drive and I want to install applications on it. I'm thinking right around 180GB is what I need. The biggest programs I have are MS Office, Adobe Creative Suite and VMWare Workstation.

My current hard drive setup consists of a pair of 1TB Caviar Blacks in a RAID 0 which is fantastically fast.

This is my board.
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

What do you guys think? Would 180GB be about right? More, less? I want the right amount of capacity where I can install everything I need and have a little room left over.

If you got the money for an SSD drive I'd say yes, but 180 GB isnt a whole lot if you do a lot on your computer. I guess it depends what you are storing on it. Right now on my school computer I have a 250 GB hard drive (224 available) and I've used 150 GB already.

if your mobo got sata 3 go for it ill be putting in two 60gb in raid 0 both in sata 3 ports soon and hope its going to be alot faster ill be getting these ones Corsair 60GB Force GT SSD - 2.5" SATA-III 6Gb/s.. | Ebuyer.com

been reading about ssd for a wile and apparently there 2 types of memory for them i cant rember the names but this is the one that got that type lol its apparently better in real world applications ill try find the link on the artical

---------- Post added at 06:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:26 PM ----------

HARDOCP - Introduction - NAND Flash Faces Off - Synchronous vs. Asynchronous

---------- Post added at 06:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:27 PM ----------

ill have my os and any programs that i need i.e. microsoft word and all that stuff on the ssd's also maybe one or 2 big docs i always use the rest will be saved on my other hard drives along with music, films ect.

just look how much space u need for what ever you put on your ssd's and get somthing abit bigger

Ooo, why's that, Mac? Sources? I certainly hope you're right!

I'm wondering this same question myself, Snap, as I would love an SSD, but I've just ordered an MSI Twin Frozr II OC 560Ti card and a TX750 Corsair PSU, so I doubt I'll be wanting to throw money at an SSD anytime soon. >.< I really hope they do shoot down in price, soon.

I'm in no rush to get one as my RAID array is pretty fast. HDTune says my average read speed is about 225 MB/s.

Mac, I hope you're right. Since the flooding, I watched hard drive prices triple. Hard drives that I paid $90 for were $250 at one point.

Can I ask a stupid question? Why do you need Office to go any faster? short of opening the saved files and the apps themselves 98% of the time you're using office you probably won't even notice a difference.

I'm running a 120GB SSD and the apps that are loaded on it only run faster in loading periods, once they are up and running there is no noticeable difference.

Can I ask a stupid question? Why do you need Office to go any faster? short of opening the saved files and the apps themselves 98% of the time you're using office you probably won't even notice a difference.

I'm running a 120GB SSD and the apps that are loaded on it only run faster in loading periods, once they are up and running there is no noticeable difference.

I am aware of this.

Like I said, I have a RAID 0 which is pretty freaking fast. I'm trying to decide if I really want an SSD and if I did, how much of one I would need. I don't plan on buying until they drop further below $1/GB.

Sounds good, just wanted to make sure you didn't have unrealistic expectations.

If you do go with an SSD, I do recommend the Crucial M4. After a long debate like you're in (i just had balance storing some games on there for load speed vs. not buying anything and sticking with what I had). It's been solid so far with no signs of slowing down.

Back
Top Bottom